Review by Holy Vampire

"The best game. Well put, Vampie!"

This game is the appitomy of great. Even though Final Fantasy 7 has came and gone, I still come back to the great game. Even better is that they're going to remake it with CG cut scenes for the Playstation. Expect my review there, human! Everything in this game has a 20, because it's the best of the best, so I'll just describe it.

Graphics- Truly revolutionary for RPGs. If all the other companies had followed their stuff by this example, we would have had graphics like Final Fantasy 7 long before it's time. So what if the sprite characters don't look good. EVERYTHING else does. Spells are great, summons are great, especially the beasts are great. I literally still get shivers down my spine when I see the last boss.

Music- This music is better than most music ANYWHERE. I even shelled out $69 dollars to buy the SM soundtrack. Good thing I didn't go for the original. But, the music is synthetic, altough it sounds real, and it really hits you in the soul. The character's themes fit like a glove, and the ending song is the single best song I've EVER heard. Hats off to Oematsu (spelling?) for a job well done.

Character Design- Unlike in most games, this game has characters that are equally developed. At least mostly. The characters grow on you like fungus on the undergarments you are wearing, due to lack of NOT playing. They really do seem to be like family, if not better, and you're sad to see some of the character's endings, like Shadow (if you figure out his secret!).

Sound- Sound's good. Especially with spells such as Ultima. But, other than that, sorry to say, it's average. But it still set standards.

Other- The replay value of this game is unreal. Even after many YEARS of it, and beating it in under 10 hours, I still love it. I even let my girlfriend have borrow it (which turned out to be HAVING it...) due to its greatness. There are many mini-quests, and there is not much room for improvisation, if any.

Plot- The plot is too complex to state in a few, unspoiling sentances, but I'll try. An evil ruler, with an evil apprentice, try to take over magic and the world. But will the victor be the ruler, the apprentice, or maybe even our heroes? Find out for yourself.

If you don't like this game, you seriously have problems. I mean you have serious problems. Or both. But this game is better than life, believe it or not. And, if you don't like it, it's probably better than your life. I've only come across 3 people who didn't like it, and that's because they live in a world where Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny is considered art, and Lion King and Mulan is considered an original story.... it's quite sad to have people base their judgement on graphics, but even then they were wrong...

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 02/20/03