Review by Sirrus911

"Better than perfect, I gave it a 10.5!"

Before going into detail about the game, I'll first say flat out that it's possibly the best game ever made on Super NES!! This was on the top of my Christams list for 1998, and I was overjoyed when my mom gave it to me on Christmas Eve. Rock on! Now, for the review.

Graphics: 8.5 out of 10 - All the characters look great and different, and the backgrounds are a great improvement over FF2/4. The enemies look great, especially the last bosses! You'll know it when you get there. The espers look awesome, and the spells are pretty impressive. The only catch is that the map is pretty ordinary, and the characters don't have the detailed battle versions of them like in FF2/4.

Sound/Music: 10 out of 10 - WOW. They folks at Square really outdid themselves this time. All the character's music is fantastic, Nobuo Uemastu has always been the mastermind behind the FF music, and he should stay that way! The end music is around 22 minutes long and is about 8/10ths a medley of all character's songs! ZoZo rules!! And as for the sound, the explosions and chinks are all right on. And Kefka's laugh was neat and funny, too.

Story: 9 out of 10 - This seems almost impossible to top. Classic Good vs. Evil, betrayal, opera, love, hate, revenge, mystery, it's all in here. I won't give anything away. The only thing that bogs it down is that there is really no main character as you're constantly changing control. But if the is, I say it's Terra. Nice ending, too.

Gameplay: 15 out of 10!! - This game is above and beyond anything there ever was, and ever will be. There is just TOO much hidden crap in this game! Most of the game is still menu based, but they make up for that with the variety of different attacks the 14 (!!!) characters have. Sabin's Blitzes are cool, too. Plus there's even a few characters that you get to play as, one time only! The Colliseum is awesome, and controlling the airship is fun. Chocobos kick @$$. One of the best things is the steal ability, where you can take certain items from naerly all the enemies. Very impressive! There's also two hidden character's, Moogles, Espers, magic, multiple endings and so much more!

Replay Value: 10 out of 10 - I dare you to get every single freakin' item on your first run through the game. There are literally hundreds of items to find, unfortunately, you need one to change the character names so choose wisely when you name them; and many different moves to learn. Specifically the old guy's Lores. And, some people don't know this, there are hidden endings to the game. I shouldn't be putting this up, but if you don't get all the characters in the second half of the game, or just get the minimum (3), then the character's endings will be significantly different. Plus there are also cutscenes that many will miss there first time, fleshing out the characters more.

And, just because GameFAQS asked......

To buy? or not to buy (e.g., rent): Um...... it's pretty obvious that you should either buy this game, or borrow it from someone (buy it!!!!). If you can find it in a rental place, be wary since it takes over 60 hours to get through it. And if you're going to max everything out, you'll be playing long afetr the clock reaches it's limit.

Overall: 52.5 out of 50, or 10.5 out of 10. Not bad!! This game rules!! Long live Moogles!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 02/20/03