Review by TheDustman

"They should have just scrapped this one."

Kirby's Dream Land 3 never should have seen the light of day. The N64 was already out and the SNES was almost dead. If the game had been released a little earlier, and they fixed it up a little bit, then maybe I wouldn't have minded so much, but it just ended up being one of those games that puts you to sleep.

Gameplay 5/10: Gameplay in Dream Land 3 is very simliar to other Kirby games, but dumbed down. Overall it's very slow. Kirby runs slow, flys(floats) slow, and attacks slow. They also didn't appear to learn anything about what made Kirby Superstar so great. Kirby has very few abilities in this game, especially compared to Superstar. Kirby's worst ability also happens to be in this game; broom. I don't know what they were thinking, but I actually thought it was cool when I was kid. Until I used it, at least. Other than broom, Kirby has his basic power-ups and attacks, fire, ice, rock, shock, spike, parasol, and cutter, and he can also kick-slide, inhale, exhale, and of course, fly. Player 2 controls Gooey, who can do everything Kirby can, except he uses his tongue to inhale. Gooey can also be computer controlled, but it isn't recomened because he takes some of your energy and doesn't do anything good. Besides Gooey, there are six animals that both of them can use for help. Rick the hamster, Kine the fish, Coo the owl, Chuchu the octopus, Pitch the bird, and Nago the cat. When you use these animals for help, they have a different attack depending on what ability you currently have. Some of these I'll admit are actually really cool, like Pitch's shock attack, and Kine's fire attack. The downside? When playing a 2-player game, only one player can get a helper. That really used to piss me off, especially since my friend always took the octopus. The last gameplay element I'm going to go over is every stage has you do a task, which you don't have to do, but if you do you get a heart-star thing at the end of the level. What happens if you get them all? I don't know, I think you get to go to a final world or something. The tasks consist of things like not stepping on flowers, rescuing something, or taking the fish to see a girl fish. You also get one for beating the boss at the end of the world. Let's move on shall we?

Sound/Music 2/10: Remember the awesome music from Kirby Superstar, that sounded incredible, making the already recognizable Kirby music sound better, and creating some of it's own? That's gone. And of course the death song, which was already a staple in the Kirby universe? That's gone as well(for Kirby at least). Instead, you get music that's very repetitive, overly happy, and makes you want to fall asleep. The sound effect aren't too bad, but they're also quite repitive.

Graphics 1/10: The worst part of the game, without a doubt. Graphics don't make the game, but it doesn't help when they're repulsive. They look like they were drawn by a kindergartner. Literally. They look like they were drawn with crayons. What happened to the graphics of Superstar? The game certainly would have been better with them.

Difficulty 4/10: If you have the patience to play through it, it won't take you that long. But you probably don't.

Lasting appeal 1/10: There isn't much, but it is kind of fun to come back to once in a while. Until you start to notice the flaws again.

This concludes my review on Kirby's Dream Land 3. When this one come to the virtual console, I recommend you avoid it. I can't say everyone will dislike it like I did, but the flaws will be noticeable, at least.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/07

Game Release: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (US, 11/30/97)