Review by nensondubois

"Not what most people expected, though I'm inflated."

Straying away from my drunken Mario Paint review... erm... today we'll be looking at a game that retains a love-hate relationship within the hearts of many. Well, I disagree and find that Kirby's Dream Land 3 delivers fun from all angles even considering the fact that Kirby Superstar/Kirby Fun Pack were in development at the same time and also how being the last first-party developed game for Super Nintendo show no finer. Kirby's Dream Land 3 basically being a sequel taking after Kirby's dream Land 2, I have little complaints.

People seem hit rank on Kirby's Dream Land 3 in many forms; graphics are said to present a sketchy and very un-Kirby like feel, the game is way too slow paced for a Kirby game, and I've even heard that people feel the game has an overwhelming difficulty curve. I can at least attest to the difficulty but does difficult always mean bad? Kirby's Dream Land 3 is an example that I want to explain.

Story: 8/10 - I don't generally pay attention to story/care about it/memorise it/etc, so I can't drag it down to the gutters or praise the game for those merits, I can only say from memory that story involves saving Dream Land and finding friends, solving missions to reveal hidden Nintendo characters and upon completion you can unlock additional modes and features.

Graphics: 9/10 - Not hating on the graphics here though I understand why others do. HAL/Nintendo wanted to drive down a different path for whatever reason they had and while some others resent the change, I feel it was okay and and not really bothered by it. Sure, everything looks like it was drawn using a sketch pad well, the creativity shows from divergence.of standard theme. Scaling and rotation adds a nice touch from mode 7, and the SA-1 chip for blending of pixels and quickly rendering special effects and hi-resolution bitmaps still retaining the classic Kirby brightness while presenting a whole new attitude.

Music: 10/10 - Definitely not Kirby's Dream Land 3's strongest point but it leads a convincing entry. Every song is Kirby-recognisable and cheerfully upbeat. Different by more than a little and less than enough from most Kirby games to show. Jun Ishikawa never fails to exceed as with all classic Nintendo and associated composers.

Controls: 9/10 - Problem-free just like every other kirby game, though controlling different partners does present something to get used to with changes ability use and general movement from land to water.

Replay value: 10/10 - Always new challenges, new places to explore and items to collect unlocking additional content and using cheat devices will even unlock a debug menu. Players of Kirby's Dream Land 3 will never be bored unless they don't like the game from the start. Finding a physical copy can fetch around $25-38 loose on average though the price is worth it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/19/12

Game Release: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (US, 11/30/97)