Review by KI Simpson

"The last great SNES game"

Kirby always gets the shaft on Ninetndo home systems. He always appears in his first platforming role near the end of the system's life. Kirby's Adventure? NES; 1993. Kirby's Super Star? SNES; 1996. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards? N64; 2000. This unfortunate timing has prevented Kirby from becoming one of Nintendo's ''game giants'' like Mario, Link and Samus. This is a shame since the Kirby games are just as good as Nintendo's other franchises. Now, we come to the Kirby game released latest relative to a system's life, Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES; 1997) (Dremland 1 and 2 were on Gameboy). The last truly great SNES game.

The graphics look terrible if you look at a screenshot. I remember thinking it looked like a NES game when I first saw pictures of it. But when I actually played it, I saw how much better the graphics were in motion. The game has a crayon/water color/clay look that seems simple when still, but becomes beautiful and unique when moving. Every world you visit looks great, and the game achieves the goal of giving the graphics a dream like feel.

The music is very good. I found several songs that got stuck in my head. Like the graphics, the music contributes to the dream like feel. The sound effects are standard.

Kirby games are basic platformers with one signature twist: to defeat enemies you suck up and swallow them, gaining the powers of some. There are eight powers you can gain (fire, ice, stone, spike, spark, umbrella, cutter, and for some reason broom) from eating the right enemies. Eight doesn't seem like a lot, but that's before you factor in Kirby's six animal friends (Rick the hamster, Nago the cat, Pitch the bird, Coo the owl, Kine the fish and ChuChu the dreamlander). You can ride each one, and each one will change the power you have into a unique attack. This makes for over 50 possible attacks! The game is long enough, with 30 levels and 6 bosses. The game has replay coming from a secret mission in each level. These missions range from avoiding trampling flowers to winning mini-games to helping Samus Aran. If you complete every one, you'll get to fight the real boss. The only problem in the gameplay is that it can sometimes get repetitive and monotonous. Still, it's very rare when it does. And most of the time you'll be treated to quality platforming action.

Overall: (not an average) 8/10

Conclusion:
Despite some minor flaws, this is still the last great SNES game. As such, it's pretty rare, but if you're a Kirby fan or want a complete collection of great SNES games, track Kirby 3 down.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/25/02, Updated 08/25/02