Review by Estoy Loco

"Koei... Why?"

You know, Aerobiz actually sounded kind of interesting at first. You’re the head of an airline company, and you have to build your company from the ground up. Too bad that after I got to playing it for a while, I completely and utterly despised it. I really can’t find many things positive about the game, besides it being somewhat original.

The main point behind Aerobiz is to control the operations of an airline company. You choose what airplanes to use, where to place budgets (you can spend less money on advertising and more on staffing and such), where to open a new route, etc. The problem is, you start out with very little money, and I ran into quite a few problems opening new routes. The first few routes you’ll be able to open will be to places that aren’t really the best travel destinations, so it’ll take some time to make money.

So much of the game play in this game is tedious that you’ll most likely never play again. All you do is stare at a map, open up some more routes, lay down some specifics about said route, and then wait a few more months to do it all over again, whilst your A.I. controlled competitors more than likely kick your ass.

Too much of the game is spent learning about who your competitors have started negotiations with or where they’ve opened new routes.. Some of it is really unnecessary. Even though I still play on beginner, I still can’t play very well.. All of those damn computer players are just too good!

Another thing that makes Aerobiz.. well.. bad is that it takes FOREVER to learn how to do everything! Add in the factor that I bought a used copy with no box/manual and you have a recipe for disaster. It took me so long to figure out what the heck to do, and the tutorial is pretty piss-poor as well.

I know this may seem like a small thing, but it really bugged me. The text in the game goes extremely slow, and when you speed it up, it doesn’t stop when someone’s done talking! So you either have to sit through extremely slow-moving text, or not read any of it at all. Thats just not right.

If you need some help, you can talk to your colleagues/lackeys for a little advice. There’s the fat guy, the hot chick, the guy with the mustache, and the guy with no distinguishable features. Whoo.

Thankfully, if you do truly like this game (which is VERY unlikely, sadly) there is a lot of replayability. You can choose one of many different cities to be located in, and you can choose from 5 different difficulty levels. Since I can’t even do that well on beginner, I can’t imagine playing on Pro.

The graphics are putrid. All of the menus kind of blend into the background (it would of been better if they had opaque backgrounds instead of clear ones), and the text is just plain ugly. The drawing that pop up when you select a different city are about the only averagly drawn things in this game. The people that you talk to are really ugly too! Eew!

The things in Aerobiz that I somewhat liked were a few of the tunes. The song that plays when you’re setting up for your first play was actually pretty nice, but after that most of the songs became mundane and uninspired. Of course, I wasn’t really expecting any masterpieces in a game where you control an air-line company, but still.. Koei could of done better than this.

Sound effects are pretty much non-existent. Not even a little beeping noise for when you click on something. *sob!*

I was extremely under-whelmed with this game. Koei makes some great strategy games, but this is not one of them. Avoid getting this game at all costs. Go get one of Koei’s better games.

Foot-notes:

-This game doesn’t deserve foot notes. The reviews only 670 words. Read it!

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 07/01/03, Updated 07/01/03