Review by Wild Gunman

"The Bat is Back!"

Well Batman has been around for about 60 years. So he is pretty recognisible figure. And of course, director Tim Burton had to make a movie, and it was good.
3 years later Burton saw the success and decided to make a sequel called Batman Returns. Then Konami decided to make a game. Let's see how well they done.

GAMEPLAY: The orignal Batman game on the Genesis was a cross between a beat em up and a platformer. This game is truly a beat em up. You play as Batman (Duh!) and you have to beat up the bad guys. The bad guys are the Red Triangle Circus, a couple of circus rejects who work for the Penguin. Batman knows a couple of good moves. One move lets you grab an enemy and throw them to a wall, and if a window or street post, you can break the window or dent the post. Another move lets you grab two enemies and bang their heads together. And you do fight bosses. 9/10.

STORY: The game follows the movie's plot from start to finish. It shows how the Penguin, or Oswald Cobblepot, wants to become the Mayor of Gotham City, but in reality, just wants to frame Batman. Also, Selina Kyle, Max Shreck's secretary, gets pushed off a building and becomes Catwoman, who also helps the Penguin. The story is much better than the Genesis version of Batman Returns, as the genesis version started from where the Penguin framed Batman and Batman has to clear his name. This story is much better. 9/10

AUDIO: The Batman theme from the movie is there, the music is pretty good and the sound effects are nice. It feels like you are in the movie, not just playing the game. 8/10

GRAPHICS: The graphics are big, bold and dark and it is excellent. There are lots of cutscenes from the movie and the animation is nice. In the Batmobile level, it is played in a 3D view and it looks really really good. When I first played the game, I was really happy with the graphics. 10/10

REPLAYABILITY: The game is quite tough to master, and on some of the last levels, players may resort to using a Game Genie. The game is easy to pick up while still providing a challenge.

OVERALL: 9/10. Konami have been known to make good games, and Batman Returns is one of them. As I said with the review of Batman 1 on the Sega Genesis, this game is much better than the Genesis version. Oh my god, how many times have I said Genesis in this review? Too much! I'd better go.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/01, Updated 09/29/01