Review by Braben

"I have always wanted to throw clowns against the wall, thank you Konami."

Games based on movies normally stink, but if that game was made by Konami then everything is different, in any case Batman Returns is a great beat em-up, one of the best available for the best available in the Snes, let’s see why:

Story:
The game follows the plot of the movie, the evil Penguin is making trouble in Gotham City with his clown minions and Batman has to save the day. Oh, and let us not forget about that lovely Michelle Pfeiffer, though she is far from being lovely in this game.

Graphics and Music 10/10:
The graphics are magnificent, very big and wonderfully animated. The backgrounds are gloomy (you are at Gotham City you know, what were you expecting?) but very beautiful. Also the music is pretty good for a beat em-up, there are a lot of tunes from the movie.

Gameplay 10/10:
In essence, Batman Returns is a beat em-up, but it also has a lot of platform elements, sometimes you will have to jump platforms or use some of your bat-gadgets to reach other places or simply to continue kicking butts. The gameplay is excellent, Batman Returns has one of the best gameplays in a Snes beat em-up, our superhero has a lot of combos and some special items that seem hurt a lot when you use them against those stupid clowns, then when you grab an enemy there are tons of cruelties to do like throwing them against windows or walls, knock their heads, kick them and a big etc. Then we have a stage we take the control of the Batmobile. Very nice.

Like most Konami’s beat em-ups this game is hard as hell, I have never been able to beat it completely, I have reached the last level once, but only once, and they killed me in no time because I barely reached that level with one life, and then we have the bosses, they are EVIL, specially Catwoman, and you have to beat her twice damn.
It is good to see games with a real challenge, but sometimes the challenge is too high, this is the case, I think Konami should’ve lowered the difficulty level a bit because this game is nearly impossible to beat without cheating.

A little flaw is that the game lacks a two player option, as Robin was introduced in the next movie, we will have to fight those clown morons alone. Oh.

Then:
If it were easier I would have given it big ten. Too hard, but great, one of the best in fact, and quite possibly the finest Batman game ever. Konami scores again.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/04