Review by Psycho Penguin

"Just the NES verion remixed.. but what a remix it is!"

When I was a youngster, there was a select group of NES games I played. Adventure Island. TMNT 2 and 3. Magic Johnson's Fast Break. Crystalis. And Battletoads. Battletoads was a very fun and very strange game about two kick boxing toads named Rash and Pimple (what original names, eh?) who go on a mission to destroy the evil queen named Dark Queen (someone should give these guys a medal for thinking of such creative names!!).

The game featured lots of unique stages, ranging from your average side scrolling stage to a vertically scrolling level where you go down a tunnel, avoiding lightning ''toasters'' and stuff. So a few years later when I got a super NES, one of the first games I wanted (along with Mega Man X) was Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. And when I finally got it, I loved it. It is a much improved version of the cool NES game itself. It may be a lot like the NES version, but I loved the NES version, so it is no big deal.

And I am sorry for comparing this game so much to the NES version, but I just have to, since the two games are VERY similar, especially when it comes to game play structure and basic stage design. There is nothing really there to separate the two games from one another, besides the fact that this game has better graphics than the NES version (as you may have expected). I think this game is nothing more than an update to the NES version. I enjoyed the NES version immensely, so it is no big deal, in my book.

The graphics were awesome and looked much better than its NES counterpart (well, it better!!) The backgrounds were a lot cooler and seemed less bright than the ones in the NES version. The first stage features fiery volcanoes and a dark setting, while the next stages after that range from something that looks like a brain to the Dark Queen's Lair itself.
I really did like the graphics in this game, as I felt the creators of the game did a great job with the graphics in the game. I am a really big fan of the graphics featured in the game.

I especially enjoyed the backgrounds featured in the game, as they were colorful and very creative, to say the leas. If you have ever played the original Battletoads, you should have a basic understanding of what the backgrounds in this game look like. They do look simply great, and are a great update over the backgrounds featured in the original Battletoads. They definitely do look 16 bit. The enemy and character designs in the game are well varied and overall great.

The music in the NES version is pretty cool, and the ones in this game are just as easy to listen to. The tunes are hip and upbeat, and I especially enjoy the little tune that plays when you pause the game. The music in the game is very good, and I like how some of the music from the original was remixed for this game, although I do wish there was more music featured that was from the original Battletoads, because I happened to enjoy that music. Regardless, the music in the game is still excellent.

Sound effects in the game are classic Super Nintendo fare all the way, your basic punch and kick sounds combined with weird sounds like the sounds of the enemies bouncing left, and right, etc. The sound effects in the game are fairly interesting, although they are not perfect, as a lot of them range from bizarre to just plain ridiculous.

The game play and control in Battletoads in Battlemanics are top notch. The game play is a classic side scrolling beat em up, and a lot of stages are devoted to that, but there are also a few unique stages. Stage two has you going down a tunnel while trying to avoid such things as birds who try to snap your string and venus fly trap looking things that seem to like eating toads. The third stage is part side scroller, than it turns into a thing where you go on a hoverbike, then the stage turns into an Excitebike type thing with ramps appearing out of nowhere.

It’s really fun, but the stages seem too much like the original Battletoads.... Yes, the stage design is shot straight out of the original, with minor improvements. This may seem like a bad thing at first, but you have to realize something. I enjoyed the stage designs of the original Battletoads, so of course I enjoyed the stage designs of this game too. It is a shame that the game did not feature more original stages, because that would have been even better, but it is no big deal.

You will definitely want to replay this game a lot, as it is very fun to play, as well as being very addicting. One of the most fun aspects of the game, in my opinion, is the multi player mode, and I especially enjoyed the multi player mode of the game because you could beat the snot out of your partner if he ticks you off. This is definitely one of the greatest ideas in the history of video games, and I am glad this game implemented that idea.

Those of you that have played the original Battletoads know how challenging it is, and this game is pretty challenging. Granted, it is not quite as challenging as the NES version (do not ask me why, as I do not have a clue) but it just is not. The stages are fairly simple, as most of the enemies require a few punches before dying, although I do enjoy the fact that some of the bosses are tough.

This is a great game, improved over the original, but unfortunately there aren't too many improvements (the stages still seem to be just like the original, for instance.) Regardless of the lack of innovation, I still do think that this is a great game that deserves the respect of a lot of people out there, because it is a good game. It is not the best video game ever, but it is perfect for a rainy Monday afternoon or something. I would definitely buy this game if you were a fan of the genre, it does have some faults but it is a very fun game to play.

Good Points
-This review was not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The graphics in the game were really great.
-The music and sound effects in the game are top notch.
-I really like the stage design of the game.

Bad Points
-The game could be a little too much like the original for my liking.
-There is some slowdown present.
-Not enough classic Battletoads music!
-Dark Queen. ‘Nuff said.

I Run Down the Ratings… SMcFadden Style!
Storyline – Not Available
Graphics – 8.8/10
Music and Sound Effects – 7.9/10
Gameplay and Control – 8.1/10
Replay Value – Above Average
Challenge – Above Average
Buy It? – If you like this kind of game, then yes.
Overall – 8.3/10
The Last Line: Pimping ain’t easy.. and neither is beating BattleToads in Battlemaniacs

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/24/00, Updated 07/16/01