Review by Bing147

"A great game in a great series"

Don't get me wrong. This isn't the best in the series. I prefer the PC version, circle of the moon, and symphony of the night. However its my fourth favorite in the series. Don't get me wrong. I love them all. But this is just awesome.

These are clear and beautiful 2-d graphics. They look great. The backgrounds are a little drab, however the character models are top notch and the attacks look really cool. These are among the best on the SNES. You may say that some games look better such as Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid. However these can compare with even those classic games.

Music: 10/10

As in most Castlevania games, the music here really stands out. Its not the best in the series but darn close. The sound effects are ok and the entire thing is top-notch. If your a castlevania vet then you might be slightly disappointed however you'll still realize how awesome they are compared to most games.

Control: 8/10

The thing that hurts the score some is the control. Richter controls a little off. It doesn't effect the game too bad, but its still annoying. Some of the jumps take several tries, because you have to be so exact. And the back flip causes you to slide and is basically useless. But besides that its okay.

Now this is basic. Save the girl(s), kill the bad guy (dracula) then go home. However its till working for Mario after all these years so... we'll just have to forgive it. Its still pretty good, at least what is there that is.

This is where the series has always really shined. Its hard to discredit it here. This isn't the best out there but its darn good. If you have played a castlevania game (not the N64 ones) then you'll know what to expect.

Replay: 10/10

Its rather short, I beat it in one sitting. However your going to want to go back and play it again right away. I know I did. I absolutely loved it though. But your also going to want to go back and save the girls which you probably won't do the first time through. I thought it had incredible replay.

Buy or Rent??? Buy

Its short all right but your going to want to replay it. If you don't like replaying games then rent it but in my case I'm glad I bought it. The game just oozes greatness. Having two extra levels to play helps it.

Challenge: 9/10

This game is tough as nails but in my book that's a good thing. However keep it in mind.

Overall (not an average): 9/10

Overall, its not the best game in the series but definetely a gem none the less that belongs in every gamers collection. Go out and buy it NOW.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/10/02, Updated 07/10/02