Review by BrakZero

"Square's second best. Period."

Wow. That was the first word I said after finishing Chrono Trigger. To make things very simple, I'll say that this game is amazing. Everything in it, from the gameplay to the graphics, was done extremely well. This is very easily one of Squaresoft's best efforts on the Super Nintendo. So, enough talking, get on with the review!

Holy cow! These graphics are jaw dropping! Squaresoft took complete advantage of the Super Nintendo's visual capabilities to make the absolute best graphics. The spells all looked great. Take a look at some double and triple tech, and then you'll see. They make other games look like a joke. I mean, people wet their pants when they first saw these. (Well, not really, but...) You've got to see them.

Music and Sound: 10/10
The music in this game is really great! It's not Nobuo Uematsu, but Yasunori Mitsuda isn't going to let you down. Some great character themes, (particularly Frog's and especially Magus's) and the battle theme was great. It also featured two boss themes, one for just an everyday boss, and one for a ''legendary battle''. The legendary battles are important battles, such as the one against Masa & Mune, or Azala and the Black Tyrano. Anyway, both of them were very good. And almost every other song in the game is great!

And what about the sound? The sound was fabulous. Everything from the CHING of Crono's sword to the sound of fire streaking across the screen was done well. No complaints.

Story: 9.5/10
I just had to give this one a fraction score. The story in this game is a killer one. It's simply about a teenage boy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. You take the role of Crono, the boy who never speaks. He wakes up one day and goes to the fair. At the fair he bumps into a girl, Marle, and becomes friends with her. Together, they go to see Lucca's (Crono's friend) new invention, the TelePod. When Marle tries it out, the machine reacts to Marle's pendant, and sends her 400 years back in time, so Crono goes to rescue her. They end up coming back to the present, but are eventually forced to go into a time portal into the future. There, they discover the horrible fate of their planet, and travel through time in the past, present, and future to try to prevent that to happen. But, as good as it may sound, it's not perfect, so I won't give it a ten. But take my word, it's still better than most RPGs nowadays.

Yes... Chrono Trigger has a simple battle system! Not a system such as Final Fantasy VII's somewhat confusing and complicated Materia system, and no stupid, irritating Junctioning, as in Final Fantasy VIII. In Chrono Trigger, it's a mix of Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana. You see the enemies right on the screen, and the battles take place right where you found them. Also, the battles are real-time. Your time bar fills up, and it's your turn. Attack, Tech, or Item. Attacking is your typical physical attack, and using Item is pretty easy, I shouldn't even have to explain.

As for the techs, that's also quite simple. Each character has their own set of techs. After you gain a certain amount of battle points, you can learn that tech, and then move on to learn another one, which is more powerful, and so on. But the real fun of this is the Double and Triple Techs. After two characters learned a certain two techs, they learn a ''Double Tech'', which is basically two techs put together to make a more powerful one. And to be realistic, it takes both characters turns. The Triple Techs are the same story, except with (duh) three people instead of two. And to go on even further, there are special accessories, which lets certain people use a triple tech when one of them has it equipped. Whew. That was a lot, but the system is very simple.

Replay Value: Very High
Chrono Trigger has some of the best replay value I've ever seen in a role-playing game. For one, there are tons of sidequests that you can do. Also, after you've beaten a game, there is a ''New Game+'' option opened up, which allows you to start a new game with data from another file. So you can start out at an extremely high levels with all your best weapons.

But that makes it to easy, right?

Yes, but with this option, you can fight the last boss anytime, and fighting him at different times will get you tons of different endings. I think there are a total of 15 endings, but I've heard that there is 20. I don't know for sure. But what I do know is that there's plenty, which gives tons of replay value!

Challenge: Medium
Is this a hard game? No, not really. You don't even have to spend time leveling up, and you still can make the game without many problems. But some beginners to the role playing genre have some decent challenge, and some bosses have a special way of beating them, and I think that's probably the hardest part. Overall, it's mostly pretty easy, but slightly hard at some parts. I almost gave this a low score, but who cares that much about the challenge? Everything else it great.

====================

Good Points
- Unbelievable graphics
- Great music
- Simple and fun battle system
- Awesome replay value
- Pretty much everything else

Bad Points
- Could have been a bit harder.
- Whaddya mean, WHAT ELSE?!

====================

The Final Word
This game is truly amazing. I might even go as far to say it's a masterpiece. The second best role playing game I've ever played, (only beaten out by Final Fantasy VI) I highly urge you to play this game. The problem is, that's it's unbelievably hard to find a copy of this game. And if you do, it's about $80 or $90!!! Of course, you can always download it through emulation, but you know how that is. But it's better than nothing, so go download it! NOW!

Final Score: 10/10