Review by Psycho Penguin

"The second best RPG I have ever played"

Introduction

Square Soft has always been known to produce quality, hit role playing games time after time again. As some of you may know, their most popular series is the Final Fantasy series. Yes, apparently there is some series out there called Final Fantasy which is kind of popular. Shocking, I know! So, one day, SquareSoft decided they needed to make something a bit different if they wanted to succeed in the SNES market. They needed a hit game that would thrust them into the next generation, and it couldn't be a Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy 6 (Final Fantasy 3 in the wacky country called America). They needed... Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, and is my second favorite role playing game ever. It is simply a fun game to play. It features great graphics, an amazing soundtrack, some of the best sound effects heard yet on the console, and above all else, the gameplay was top notch, as the game featured incredible control and a rather innovative battle system that provided hours and hours of fun. One of the greatest video games ever made, and an all time classic by SquareSoft, a company known for outstanding role playing games.

Storyline (7.8/10)

I am not going to lie to you and tell you that this is the greatest story line ever in a role playing game, because it is not. In fact, I much rather preferred the story line in Final Fantasy 6! But that still does not mean that the story line in this game is bad, because this is still a classic story line that deals with a certain element that had not been seen in a role playing game prior to this one: Time travel. Yes, in this game, you can actually go back in time and piss off the people before you. Is that not the coolest damn idea or what?

The basic story line goes like this. You wake up and your mom tells you to go to the Millenial Fair. So, you head on out and you run into this girl named Marle. She asks if she can come with you, and of course you accept because Crono is either a nice guy or a guy who wants to get her drunk, rape her, and leave her for dead in the inn. Well, you run into her and she drops this pendant. She puts it back on and they go into this time machine. Somehow, Marle's pendant is affected by the time machine and she is thrust into time, and since Chrono has not devirginized her yet he follows her into the time warp, and the adventure begins.

Overall, this is one of the more creative story lines SquareSoft has come up with, although it is tough to beat Final Fantasy 6, and even with the rather unique time travel feature, the story line does not shape up as well as I expected it too. Regardless, it is interesting enough and will hold your attention throughout the game.

Graphics (9.4/10)

These are some of the best graphics I have yet to see on the Super Nintendo, especially in a role playing game. Square Soft really stretched the limits of the console for this game, and their time and effort really shows, as this game looks simply incredible. The character designs, the backgrounds, everything about this game looks simply incredible. I am not lying to you when I tell you that this is one of the best looking games I have yet seen on the Super Nintendo!

Backgrounds in the game are awesome, and some of the best ever! One problem that I did encounter with some of the backgrounds in the game was the fact that some of them tended to blend in a little bit too well with the whole look of the scene. For instance, let's say you are in the jungle later on in the game, in the prehistoric times. The background is so bright and colorful that it tends to take away from the actual game play, because you can not see where you are going! Otherwise, the backgrounds in the game are solid.

Character and enemy designs in the game are also pretty well done, although I have to comment on the main character (Crono)'s design. He seems to be the typical RPG hero, with the spiky hair and everything, and he most certainly is, but he has this whole look to him that just strikes me as somewhat different. And don't get me started on the character portraits and how they look so much different than they do in the actual game. The cool part about the characetrs on the main screen is the fact they are much more larger and colorful then they are in a game like Final Fantasy 6. This is definitely an advantage. The enemy designs in the game are great, nothing spectacular but there is a nice variety.

Overall, the graphics are superb and represent the finest the Super NES will ever see. Fantastic character designs, detailed dungeons, cities, etc., awesome cut scenes, and fantastic scenes including Magus' Tower are absolutely spectacular. One minor downfall: sometimes the backgrounds are so well designed and have such spectacular, colorful backgrounds that is is sometimes hard to judge the depth of the ground you are working on, therefore you sometimes miss what you are supposed to walk on. However, this is a VERY minor complaint. The graphics are really good.

Music and Sound Effects (8.3/10)

The music (excluding the regular battle music) is phenomenal. The music fits each scene very nicely, and overall almost all of the music is fantastic. However, the regular battle music is HORRIBLE! Anyway, the sound effects are perfect, the sword hitting an enemy sounds just like a sword hitting an enemy. The music is superb, other than the crappy battle music.

Music in the game is really good, and Square Soft continues to amaze me with the quality soundtracks that they put out time after time again. The main complaint I have with the music, as I already have mentioned, is the fact I really hated the battle theme in the game. Now, this is not a ''Oh, I am somewhat annoyed by it'', it is more like ''I never want to hear that crap again!''. The battle theme was really terrible, which is a shame because the boss theme and legendary battle themes were awesome. Especially the legendary battle theme, that was amazing and very classic. I also like the music that plays when you let the title screen play through, its great.

Sound effect wise, the sound effects in the game are all that I have come to expect from a Super Nintendo role playing game released by Square Soft, as all of them have featured quality sound effects. Most of them, as you may expect, occur during battle, and they all sound great and exactly the way they should sound.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are simply awesome. The soundtrack in this game is wonderful and well varied, although I was pissed because the battle theme stunk so terribly. Worst battle theme ever? It gets my vote. The rest of the music is good, too, especially the ''Legendary Battle'' theme. Sound effects are awesome, as well.

Gameplay and Control (9.8/10)

Not only is Chrono Trigger one of the best looking and best sounding role playing games ever to hit the video game market, it is also one of the most fun to play. The rather unique battle system lends a lot of fun, because it combines Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6 rather nicely, although it is unfair to compare it to a game like Secret of Mana because you can not move your characters around during battle manually. The enemies can move around at will, however.

''There is one important part of a game. Gameplay!''

Chrono Trigger really shines in this department. There is a lot of events to do, such as rescuing princess Nadia, escaping form a prison, and going through various dungeons. Each event is very well planned out and you actually have to think about where to go next. That's a cool part of the game: you go back to various time periods, and you end up going to
the same time period a few times during the game. the battle screen commands are basically the same as a normal RPG except
for one addition: Techs. You can learn Single, Double, and Triple techs. Single techs can only be done by the person who
knows the tech, but double and triple techs are performed by two or three characters who combine their knowledge of their tech to trample over an enemy. This is a really great idea for a struggling RPG originality element.

Overall, this is one of the most fun role playing games I have ever played in my entire life, as I simply had a blast playing it. Learning new magic and sword skills is so awesome, and the battle system is so fun and unique. One of the best role playing games I have ever played, bar none. This one is a keeper.

=====================================
Other Important Scores
=====================================

Replay Value: High

This is one of the greatest role playing games I have ever played in my entire life, and since I like to replay role playing games, this game definitely had high replay value. An added bonus to this is the fact that once you beat the game, you open up a mode called ''New Game Plus'' mode which allows you to see all 15 of the other endings by allowing you to stop and end the game at certain places and time perdiods. The farther in time you go, the different the endings get. Overall, the replay value in the game is quite high.

Challenge: Medium

This is not one of the most challenging role playing games ever made, that is for sure, but the game is still a decent challenge, especially for new players to the role playing game genre. The biggest problem is trying to figure out how to defeat some of the bosses in the game, as some of them can get quite challenging, although they never get too challenging, which is always a good thing. Overall, this game has a decent challenge level, nothing special.

GOOD POINTS
-------------------

-Incredible graphics
-Awesome soundtrack
-Unique battle system and tech learning skills

BAD POINTS
----------------

-Battle theme from hell
-Some backgrounds blend in a little too well.
-Hard as heck to find nowadays.

Overall (9.8/10)

This is one of the best video games I have ever played, and I mean it. It is simply a blast to play, and it has incredible graphics, music, sound effects, game play, control, everything about this game is amazing. Now, it is hard to find nowadays, but if you manage to find a copy of it to buy, do yourself a favor and buy this game. You won't regret it!

To buy, or not to buy, that is the question?

Like I said before already, this game is pretty hard to buy nowadays, but if you can find it, buy it, who cares how much it costs, this is simply an incredible game!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/10/00, Updated 07/16/01