Review by Baldo

"Godzilla + Fighting = Cool!"

Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen is an awesome fighting game for the Super Famicom. Unfortunately, the text is in Japanese so Westerners won't be able to understand the story, but you don't need to be able to comprehend Japanese to enjoy the Godzilla-style fighting mayhem in this game. Even though I didn't know what was going on in the story, I did know that my Godzilla was whoopin' up on all the other monsters!

Gameplay - 8/10

Its your basic fighting game: two fighters, one 2D fighting area, and you need to lower your opponents energy bar before he lowers yours. The controls are pretty good, up to par with any other popular fighting game of its time such as SSF2 or Mortal Kombat. The coolest part is that you get to fight with monsters that Godzilla fights in the movies. There's Mothra, Megalon, King Ghidorah, Biollante, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Anguirus, and lets not forget Godzilla. Sorry Rodan fans, you can't select him, unless there's some code I don't know about. The computer AI is pretty fierce, so a little practice and patience is required.

Story - ?/10

I can't really score the story, because I can't read Japanese, but I think we all agree that fighting games don't really need stories. It seems, however, that your monster must travel across Japan and defeat the other monsters.

Graphics/Visual Effects - 9/10

The graphics in Godzilla: KD are very well done. The monsters are all perfect recreations of the ones seen in the movies. The backgrounds in the different fighting ''arenas'' are also nicely done.

Audio - 8/10

The music and sound effects perfectly complement the game's image of sticking to the movies. The opening theme music is especially cool. Each of the monsters have their own roars and other sound effects that are identical to the noises they make in the movies. The music during battle has a thrilling tone to it that keeps you enthralled with the fighting.

Replay Value - 7/10

It's a fighting game, so beating it over and over can seem rather boring, but if you want to experience the fighting styles of the different monsters, then you'll want to replay this game.

To Be or Not to Be?

Well, renting this game is almost certainly out of the question because its a Japanese game. You might be able to find this game on an auction site. I wouldn't recommend buying this one unless your a diehard Godzilla fan or you really enjoy playing fighting games. Emulation is also a plausible action for those who simply wish to try this fighter on for size.

Overall 8/10

Toho has done a great job capturing the feel of the movies in this game. Too bad its not in English. All in all, its a decent fighting game, but its the best Godzilla game I've seen.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/16/01, Updated 08/20/01