Review by Bkstunt_31

"I have played this so you don't have to!"

My god, I can't believe that I actually played through this entire game. Please, please, take my word for it and stay away from this horrible refuse of a video game. The only thing that this game possibly has going for it is the fact that the graphics do look fairly decent. I'm not going to go into heavy detail on this old game, but here's the gist of it:

The story is obviously a straight rip off from Batman forever, right down to where you end up fighting even. Other than asking if you've seen that movie, there's not too much to say about it. You will spend all eight chapters in the game trying to capture Two-face and the Riddler.

The gameplay is your standard brawler-beat-em-up title, with some of the most horrible controls I've ever seen! In the game, you can choose to play as Batman or Robin, and they even give you quite an assortment of gadgets, such as the bat-a-rang and a grappling hook. But it is next to impossible to use these gadgets, even when the game requires you to do so! For example, you have to be able to use your grappling hook all the time in this game, but the controls to do so (pressing select and "B") are sluggish and awkward. Your main attacks consist of punching and kicking, but you can also do roundhouse kicks and upper-cuts. Cool, right? Not really, again the control issue prevents you from actually utilizing these attacks to your advantage, as you'll most likely be beaten to death before you are able to use them. Also, this game is HARD, even in easy. At least Acclaim put in a level code so you can skip to where you finally died at, otherwise I would have never made it through.

Like I said before, the graphics are definitely SNES-quality, which is this game's only bright point. The character designs look very human-like in quite a weird way, but in the end the enemies are recycled way too often and lack inspiration. The same can be said about the backgrounds as well. Also, I noticed several glitches in the game, where if I punched fast enough, the enemy couldn't hurt me.

The music is ok for exactely the first 15 seconds. Again, thank you Acclaim for giving me the option to turn off the music completely. But unfortunately that leaves you with the sound-effects, which sound like over-exagerated karate moves.

Overall, I'm giving this a 3, mostly because of the graphics and the tolerable music. Don't get me wrong, though, Batman Forever is a very bad game, one of the worst I've actually bothered to play all the way through. Seriously, don't ever give in to the Batman hype of yesteryear, it isn't worth it. If this helps one person steer clear of this mess, I've done my job. Have fun and keep on playing!

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 08/25/08

Game Release: Batman Forever (US, 08/31/95)