Review by Kim Kusanagi

"Q: Who is Batman? A: Batman... is me!!!"

Well, well, well. Here we have, Batman Forever. The game based on Joel Schumacher's best (but not the best of all) Batman movie. The game tries to follow the storyline you can see in the movie, so I am not going to spoil it, in the rare case you haven't seen it yet.
Although the idea is the same, this game is quite different from Batman Returns; while Batman Returns is a Final Fight- style beat 'em up, Batman Forever is a beat 'em up created using Acclaim 's infamous motion- capture techniques and a Mortal Kombat II button layout. This is no surprise, since they were the ones who released that game for home consoles. So there are the scores:

STORY 8/10
Based on the movie; the movie was quite good storyline-wise (it was no Batman & Robin, so it's OK)

GRAPHICS 7/10
The game used the motion capture Acclaim used to make their latest SNES and genesis games, so you know how it works: they hire some motion capture actors who disguise themselves as the characters, then they go and perform some fancy- schmancy moves in front of a camera with a blue/ green background, and later programmers go and put it in the game; the results are blurry, little funny lookalike characters. However, it gets some points because of the game's badass intro

CONTROL 7/10
If you have played Mortal Kombat, you have played this game. The button layout is the same used in MKI and II, and it even includes some very-hard-to-pull-off special moves that involve the use of Batgadgets. I don't think using these specials is helpful, because some enemies are way too cheap, and manage to block/ attack/ jump over/ whatever tactic over your attacks. Yes, regular controls vs cheap AI (sometimes)

MUSIC 9/10
Now we' re talkin'! This game includes some kickass music, better (at least to me) than the one used in the movie; it reminds me a lot of the previous Batman movies. Just hear the intro.

OVERALL 8/10
Because of the cool music and OK story, this game gets a 7.7, that is, a 8. But , if you can, get another Batgame first.

RENT, BUY, DL.
I'd say, dl it first. If you like it and want to give it a console try, rent it. If it is too challenging for you, then buy it. People, that should be my perennial advise.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/19/04