Review by Retro

"A looney game that is worth playing"

I owned Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout for a few years on the NES and I always liked it, so I figured I would like Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage for the Super Nintendo, and I found out I was right.

Bugs Bunny sets on a sort of journey to find the artist who is drawing him and the levels around him. Whoever is drawing the settings for Bugs Bunny sure isn't very fond of him, because the levels are all full of danger! There are a few (not enough of them) levels in Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage. Most of them are a complete level in which you must avoid or destroy several enemies and make it to the end. These levels can range from one set around winter time with several hunting dogs walking around sniffing and bullets flying through the air from a local hunter, to one that is set in the year 2001 (for real) that is in outer space full of galactic taxis that are driven by robots. There are a few other levels in which Bugs will do nothing but fight a major boss such as a huge wrestler or the ramming El Toro the bull himself.

While Bugs Bunny ventures through the levels, he will encounter many ferocious, but looney, enemies such as pouncing cats, big bad wolves along with little pigs, squirrels that throw acorns, and many others. From time to time, Bugs might even see some of his famous friends such as Marvin The Martian, Pepe Le Pew, Wile E. Coyote, and others.

With all these enemies and fiersome bosses, you would think Bugs would have some kind of weapons or special abilities. If you were thinking that, then you were right, because he does. Bugs Bunny has a few fighting moves (I guess you can call them that) such as a kick, throwing a pie, and jumping on top of his enemies, that he can use anytime and as much as he wants. Not only can Bugs fight, he can also collect items throughout each level and use them. There are a lot of items such as bombs, targets, apples, tanks, 1-ups, carrots for energy, and many others. The items you can collect always depends on which level you're currently playing. The most important item you can collect and use are the save points. The save points look like a horn, and when you use it, it will place a sign on the ground that says ''BUGS WAS HERE.'' If you die any in that level after you use the save point, then you will continue from that point.

Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage isn't a dull game at all. To keep the game from being too boring or dull, there are secret rooms you can find, and the game tries to be funny, and it sometimes succeeds. After you complete a level, you will be taken to a screen in which you are given a rating for your style such as ''Wacky Wabbit'' or ''Southern Fried Rabbit.'' Depending on whether it's a good rating or not, when Bugs flexes his muscle, the muscle will either stay up like he's been working out or it will drop as if his arm was a tire and it just went flat. To make it short, you won't recognize any particular episodes of Looney Tunes by playing this game, but you can tell that parts of it have that Looney Tunes theme, or atmosphere, to them.

Whether you watch or used to watch Looney Tunes or not, just as long as you like 2-D action/adventures, you should like Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage. If you are a Looney Tunes fan, or used to be, you'll probably like the game even more. Give it a try!

GRAPHICS - Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage's graphics aren't anything memorable, but they're not bad either. The characters all look good and have fairly good animation, the levels all look nice, and the backgrounds aren't bad either, but they could've been a little better.

SOUND - The sounds are good for this type of game. Most of the sound effects, especially the sound of birds flying around an enemy's head after you hit them, sound cartoon-like and Looney Tunes-like just like they should. The music also has that cartoon sound to it and it's not bad.

CONTROL - The controls are fluid and I didn't get frustrated any while I was playing the game, and you shouldn't either.

REPLAY VALUE - Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage isn't one of my favorite 2-D action adventure titles, but it is fun to play every now and then.

OVERALL - Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage is a good game that's somewhat comical and even a bit challenging in parts, but it just doesn't have anything about it that's real memorable and in my opinion, the game was too short.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/08/01, Updated 05/20/02