Review by majikmonkee75

"Cap gets a bad rap! (it's not all crap!)"

Okay. I know this is a game a lot of folks love to hate, but I must confess I actually enjoy playing it...THERE, I said it! For all the reasons there are to dislike this game, I manage to find enough reasons to come back to it again and again. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but for the most part, Cap gets a bad rap. Here's the breakdown.

Story 7/10

Okay, so it's a little cliche: Bad guys try to take over the world, good guys stomp bad guys, peace and happiness rule again. I don't think it's that bad. Games like this aren't really about story to begin with. If you want story, go play Final Fantasy. For the purpose of this game, the plot is decent enough.

Game Play 5/10

Okay, so here's where it gets a little ugly. When it comes to movement of your character, things feel kind of floaty a lot of the time, especially when you're leaping all the way across the screen in one jump. The main problem is that when it comes to trading blows, the enemies have just as good of a chance of nailing you with a punch as you do them, and your energy goes down fast. It just seems to me that, being that the Avengers are super heroes, they ought to have some sort of edge over your run of the mill robot thug. You do, however, have the ability to attack with unlimited projectiles, and when all else fails, it’s possibly to cheaply blast your way though the whole game without laying a fist on your enemies (you’d think Cap would get tired of tossing that shield after a while). There are stages where you are mostly either flying or swimming where all you can do is shoot, but they are a piece of cake for the most part. All in all, it’s very difficult to beat this game, given the limited amount of continues and lives you are given, but with some blood, sweat, and lots of tears, it is possible.

Graphics 8/10

For a “beat-em-up” type game, the characters in CA&TA are somewhat small, but they’re still pretty detailed, and so are most of the enemies. Characters and backgrounds are colorful and smooth, which helps when it comes to watching those corny animations of your character during the dialogue scenes. Overall, things look pretty good in Cap, but then again, that’s not the biggest complaint of most folks who have played this game anyway.

Sound 7/10

The music is typical cheesy uppity “super hero game” music. It doesn’t sound too bad, but it gets repetitive after a while to say the least. As for the sound affects, forget about it. Punches and explosions and other sounds are weak, and only sort of resemble what they’re supposed to be. The voices are okay where they are used, expect for the laughing sound effects, which sound ridiculous (Whirlwind specifically…what’s up with that???). Don’t play this game for the sound effects, please. You’d be just as well off with the sound turned off completely.

Overall, for all its flaws, I still love this game. Sure, I happen to love Marvel super heroes, but if this game was truly horrible, I’d still reject it. What we have here is a basically fun game with some flaws that, sure, you can get hung up on, but you don’t have to. Fans of beat-em-ups should try this game, in spite of what their friends may say. You may or may not thank yourself later. If you really hate it, there’s always Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems. ‘Nuff said!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/02, Updated 12/05/02