Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of my all time favorite games.. in a genre I tend to avoid"

I have never really been a huge fan of the shooter genre. While some of the games in the genre have been fairly enjoyable for me, I have never really seen myself as listing the shooter genre as one of my all time favorite genres. This does not mean that I cannot enjoy a shooter, or that I hate the shooter genre, because that is simply not true. There are some shooters out there that I have always liked.

There have been a lot of shooters released over the years. When I say shooters, I mean side scroller air attack type shooters, like the R-Type series. One of my favorite games in this genre was a game called Darius Twins. Darius Twins was a game released for the Super Nintendo several years back, and it has always been one of my all time favorite video games since I first played it. It may seem a lot like your average shooter at first, but it is really not.

My friend purchased this game about a year ago, and I was not really sure what to expect from it, at first. Sure, it looked like a cool game, and I have always liked the R-Type series, but what would I think of this newest game he purchased? Well, it turns out that I actually enjoy playing this game, and I really liked the basic game play of the game. Ever since I first started playing it, I could not put it down, mainly because the game is so much fun to play, and very addictive.

Graphically, this is one of the better looking games to be featured on the Super Nintendo. I really liked the way the whole game looked, as the backgrounds were especially well done. Some of the backgrounds in the game were very colorful, especially the background featured in the opening stage. It was a blue sky with water and mountains and it looked simply wonderful. The backgrounds in the game are simply awesome, to say the least. I liked the character and enemy designs in the game, as they were very well varied. Overall, the graphics in the game are great.

Music in the game is simply awesome, and this is one of the best soundtracks I have heard on the Super Nintendo yet. I am a really big fan of the music in the game, as the game was simply a treat to listen to. I loved all of the background music in the game, but the music I especially enjoyed was the music featured in the opening stage. yes, I know I already brought up the first stage, but the music in the opening stage is awesome. Hell, all of the music is awesome. Sound effects are your standard Super Nintendo fare, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Like I have already mentioned a few times, this is a side scrolling shooter game taking place in outer space. The thing I liked most about this game (besides the music) was the fact that the game tried to be different. There are a lot of weird enemies in the game, and I had a blast looking at all of the weird enemies featured in the game. I also liked how you got to choose your stage between stages, there is a map and you get a choice between (usually) two stages. It is simply awesome, and added a lot to the replay value.

How does that increase the replay value of the game? Well, getting the chance to choose between stages definitely increases the replay value of the game, because you will want to go back and play the stages in a different order. There are so many different ways to play through this game, and it will keep you coming back for more. I thought it was really cool that the makers of the game actually tried to add replay value to the game.

Challenge wise, one of the main things always featured in games of this genre is a high challenge level. I do not know why, but at least 90 percent of the games in this genre featured on the Super Nintendo have been a super challenge. With that kind of legacy to live up to, it should come as no surprise that this game is very challenging, as well. This is definitely a challenging game.

Overall, I really did not know what to expect from this game, but in the end the innovative gameplay, awesome control, incredible music, great graphics, and decent sound effects won me over. This game is the bets of the genre on the Super Nintendo, in my opinion, and I think it is definitely worth a purchase!

Good Points
-This review is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The music in the game is simply incredible.
-The stage designs in the game are very awesome.
-I loved the graphics (especially the backgrounds) in the game.

Not So Good Points
-The sound effects in the game are rather lackluster.
-The game could get quite challenging at times.
-The multiplayer mode is very disappointing.
-There, I found three. Congratulate me.

I Run Down the Ratings... SMcFadden style!
Storyline - Not Available
Graphics - 9.6/10
Music and Sound Effects - 9.3/10
Gameplay and Control - 9.8/10
Replay Value - Way Above Average
Challenge - Way Above Average
Buy it? - Oh Hell Yeah!
Overall - 9.7/10
The Last Line: This is one of the best shooters ever. Buy it today!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/00, Updated 07/16/01