Review by ManeMane

"Classic rpg gaming! And thats a good thing.."

Whats up! This is my review for Dragon Quest V, which I think is a very good rpg that deserves a review. This game is perfect for those of you who like the classics, like Final Fantasy and Breath of Fire. I love the classic snes games so when I found out this game was 100 percent translated I immediately had to find it and play it.

GRAPHICS: 7.5/10

Okay, I hear a lot of people gripe about the graphics.. I don't think they're really that bad. If you can stand the graphics of Final Fantasy 2 then you'll be good to go. I actually enjoyed the graphics of this game more then Final Fantasy 2. I do have some problems, I don't think it classifies as graphics but it classifies as stupid.. alright, every king in the game has the same image, white hair white mustache and a crown, meaning they're all old. Alright in the story this guy and his younger brother are heir to the thrown. The younger brother gets it, 18 years later the younger brother is about 24 but since he is a king he is old.. lol. The older brother looks the same. Another king is old with white hair and a mustache, he steps down from being king, and he looks young! o_O Ugh.. ah well thats not really that important but I wanted to bring it up because I think its funny. =p

SOUND: 8.5/10

The sound is alright, there are a few catchy tunes. The music is always very happy, there aren't enough(or any I don't think) dark music playing for dark moments. I think that would have made it better.

GAMEPLAY: 9/10

The gameplay is for the mostpart solid like any other rpgs, but there are so annoyances that can't be overlooked. Alright, first of all the lack of inventory space.. it sucks. You get so many key items that at one point I didn't know if it was alright to put them away in storage or hold onto them. I found out that most key items once you're done using them once you can go ahead and deposit them so they don't take up room, but still the inventory space is really bad. Other than that I liked the gameplay, it played like any other rpg. Moving around the map and such reminds me of Breath of Fire, but the menu is like Earthbound! :D So is the fighting btw, not that you go around and encounter stuff you see on your screen, no, but when you are in a battle it is first person and the fighting seems similiar. Overall the gameplay was fun.

STORY: 10/10

I thought this game had a really good story. To me the story is the most important part of an rpg, and this rpg really came through in this category. It is just an awesome adventure that starts you off as a young boy adventuring with your father to you being a grown up and going on your own adventures. I don't want to give away too much of the story but I'll just say that this story is unique by adding something interesting to the game, something I haven't seen in any other rpg.

BUY OR RENT:
Neither, because it wasn't released in America and you don't know Japanese! .. And if you do know Japanese, you probably played this game already =p . So download the rom and try it out. =)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/13/02, Updated 06/13/02