Review by Metalguru

"I can't wait for the future!"

F-Zero… what can I say about this marvelous futuristic racing game for the Super Nintendo. It has it all. You have sleek hover cars that go a zillion miles per hour, huge jumps, and there is no shortage of incredible tracks to burn. This is the one of the best racers on the Super Nintendo along with Super Mario Kart. This is the best game of the F-Zero series. But it will have some competition with F-Zero on the Gamecube.

You can’t go wrong with ultra-fast hover cars racing to the finish. Some finish, some don’t in the treacherous race tracks with treacherous racers. There jumps so big, it almost seems like your hover car is not jumping, but flying. But there is one flaw, which is really strange. This is something every single racing game should feature… MULTIPLAYER!! Why is it that there is no multiplayer in such a marvelous game. This is inexcusable.

Keep in mind that I am grading judging by the power the system has. In early Super Nintendo days, the graphics for F-Zero were unmatched as far as most racing games go. The city down below the track in the Mute City track is screaming with vibrant movement. The explosions, the roaring engines in the back of your hover cars and the environments are very cool.

The music gets stuck in your head. Each and every song in this game is so choice. I loved the noise the engine makes and… the music! Each different track has their own song. The only thing that I wasn’t a big fan of was, the sound effects that the hover car makes when you hit the brakes. It sounds like a guy is farting!! But, you won’t even really care about sound when you give this game a whirl.

Challenge:10/10
There are three different cups to race in: The Knight Cup, The Queen Cup, and The King Cup. Make no mistake about it, some tracks in The Knight Cup are no cake walk. The tracks go by how skilled the player is, so any track can be done with skills, rocket boosters, and a little luck. The rocket boosters can get you out of crucial times. You know, the final lap, second place, and the guy in first is right in front of you and is not letting you pass. So, this game can be beat by anyone.

Replay Value: 10/10
Replay value is one of F-Zero’s strong-points. I have done each and every cup tons of times! Why? Because this game always has you coming back for more heart-pounding racing at it’s finest. And who would blame them? This one game that you would have to be crazy to give away to a store or a friend. So get this one and keep it forever. Well you can get rid of it if your Super Nintendo breaks down and get some money.

Play Time: 10/10
Each of the cups have around four or five tracks. Each of them have about around four laps in the race. All of them can be slightly difficult and long so you will probably retry the level.

Overall, I think that F-Zero is a game that is more than worth checking out. It was the first of it’s kind. One of the first Super Nintendo games that I have ever played and still one of the best. It has fast and furious racing with huge jumps and had great graphics for it’s time which runs smoothly with absolutely no slowdown at all. It has cool music that you will be humming soon after. I would not hesitate to pick F-Zero up.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/03, Updated 01/02/03