Review by Psycho Penguin

"A Rarity: Rare screws up a game!"

In my lifetime, I have played many fighting games. Few have left lasting impressions on me. Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the greatest fighting game ever, in my opinion. Mortal Kombat just lent itself as being a boring and very slow fighting game. And then there’s Killer Instinct. The game had huge popularity in the arcades, for whatever reason I will never figure out. Then the Super Nintendo version came out, and I decided to rent it out and play it, just because of all the rave reviews it received.

Well after playing it I realized that this game is very good and above average, but it is also kind of overrated. Sure the graphics are nice and the game play is good, but overall I felt let down by the whole experience. It is definitely a solid game, and I certainly do not feel it is as good or as bad as a lot of people say. I actually think the game is pretty good, but not that good. And I do not think that it is as bad as some people say, it is certainly not a terrible game.

There is not really much story line to the game, you just start fighting. I think there is something to do with some

Now you may be asking, what about the graphics? Well, the graphics in the game are very good. Rare used a very special processor for the game, and the quality and detail in the graphics show that Rare spent a lot of quality time working on the graphics in this game. The game has a certain 3D look to it, with great character models and awesome rotating backgrounds. The game looks just as good as Donkey Kong Country if not better. The game features great graphics.

Well, most of the music (especially the music in Glacius’s stage) is very good and sounds awesome. I liked a lot of the music in the game, but I disliked some of it too. So, it was definitely a mixed bag. Some of the music was awesome, I liked Glacius’s theme a lot, as well as Ivy’s. But Cinder’s theme was a little disappointing. There was a nice variety of music in the game, but the thing I did not like about the variety is the fact that a lot of the music was below average.

The sound effects are cool too, and the sound effects and music combine to make some of the best ever heard on the Super Nintendo. A lot of the sound effects in the game are your basic fighting game fare, the punches and kicks sound a lot like punches and kicks. There is even some voice acting in the game. Well, there is not voice acting in terms of voices, more like growls. There are some voices in the game but they are rather limited.

The control in the game is rather solid, it is easy enough to pull off the moves in the game. And moving around and doing stuff like punches and kicks is pretty simple, I like the control in this game a lot. The game is definitely suited for the Super Nintendo controller, and I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth and easy the control in the game was.

Well, it’s a fighting game, and a damn good one at that. The game features solid controls and excellent character selection. I felt let down by some of the game play during fighting but most of it is very well done. It is sometimes very annoying that every player I seem to fight in the game worries more about their biggest combo instead of winning, but that’s life. The game features solid game play and controls.

The game is pretty fun to play, and here is how the actual game fighting mode itself works. You choose a character and you fight in several battles, one at a time. Each time you have a different opponent. As you advance, the opponents get tougher and tougher, until you finally get up to the final boss, who is the toughest opponent of them all. If it sounds a lot like any other fighting game, that is because it is just like any other fighting game.

Selectable characters include Jago, B. Orchid, Glacius, Fulgore, Spinal, Sabrewulf, T. J. Combo, Chief Thunder, Cinder and Riptor. Combos play a much bigger part in this game than any other fighter before it. Combos of 100 hits can be executed. A couple of terms should be explained: a combo linker is a button that can be pressed to keep a combo going; basically linking the parts of the combo together. A combo breaker is a move that can be performed by the recipient of the combo to break it up.

The game is a lot of fun to play in terms of single player mode, and the two player mode is pretty fun, as well. There is nothing more satisfying than beating the crap out of a friend that thinks he is better than you. Of course, if that friend knows a lot more combos then you he will probably slaughter you pretty easily. The replay value otherwise is pretty good, you will spend a decent amount of time playing this game if you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it.

The cheap part is that pulling off combos can be VERY hard for you, but is very easy for the Artifical Intellegence! Another factor is Combo Breakers. These allow you to break combos that your opponent is using. So you may be in your first 6 hit combo against the AI, the AI will decide to use a combo breaker on you. Then the AI will pummel you with an 11 hit combo and you’re still furiously trying to pull off that damn combo breaker! Mastering combos is hard, and it rather sucks when the AI keeps combo breaking you and doing rolls/jumpkicks though your normal punches and does a 10 hit combo, which for some lame reason it won't let you break. This is what makes the game as challenging as it is.

The game is solid enough to warrant getting a score of 7/10, but I cannot give it any higher than that, because of the serious problems with the Artificial Intelligence of the game. You will like this game if you are addicted to combos in fighting games, others will see this as barely passable and will move onto better things. And that, my friends, is a Ladies man guarantee for the ages!

Papa John’s
-The graphics in the game are impressive.
-The music and sound effects are above average.
-The combo element of the game is nicely done.
-There is a nice selection of characters to choose from.

Domino’s Pizza
-The VERY cheap artificial intelligence is frustrating and annoying.
-I hated certain game play aspects of the game, like combo breakers.
-The game just isn’t that much fun to play after a while.
-There is not really much of a story line.

I Run Down the Ratings… DaLadiesMan Style!
Storyline – Not Avilable
Graphics – 9.1/10
Music – 8.3/10
Sound Effects – 8.2/10
Control – 8.1/10
Gameplay – 7.2/10
Replay Value – Average
Challenge – Frustrating
Is this game worth a purchase? – No, not really.
Overall – 7.2/10

The Last Line: This game is only worth buying if you’re a huge fan of combos in fighting games.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/00, Updated 07/16/01