Review by Psycho Penguin

"It's just not another cheap Final Fight clone!"

Over the years, there have been quite a few types of genres. And most of them have been flooded with games that don't live up to expectations. The side scrolling beat em up genre is one of these genres. While there are not as many side scrolling beat em ups coming out anymore, back in the Super Nintendo days a lot of side scrolling beat em up games came out. While most were pretty good, a few (Rival Turf, Legend) were pretty bad, in my opinion.

My friend had told me about this cool side scrolling beat them up, called King of Dragons. Made by Capcom in 1992 for the Super Nintendo, he told me it was a fun and overall great side scrolling beat em up game. So I decided to rent it out to try it. What were my opinions of the game? Well, i didn't like the game as much as he seemed to have liked it, but overall I felt it was a fun and innovative game from Capcom. This game is worth at least a rental, that is if you can actually find it to rent.

The story line of the game is rather basic, but what else could you expect from those loveable folks over at Capcom? Basically, you have to slay the forces of evil (AKA an evil dragon) to save your kingdom. Who are you? You are five brave warriors from the past. This is taking basic story lines to a whole new level.

The graphics in King of Dragons at first look like your basic Super Nintendo fare, with the backgrounds and character designs looking average, but soon you'll discover that the graphics are actually pretty good and rival that of similar games in the genre. The variety of the enemy designs is the best thing about the graphics, in my opinion. I felt it was pretty annoying to have to fight the same looking enemies, with different outfits on, from stage to stage. At least King of Dragons has a bit of variety in the enemy designs. The backgrounds are great as well and definitely varied from stage to stage. Overall the graphics are very well done.

Nothing really innovative here, but the music and sound are definitely above average. The tunes are varied from stage to stage and the tunes are definitely worth listening to. No need to turn the stereo up for this game. I was impressed by the quality of music in the game, as it did sound rather solid. The sound effects are also very good, as well, they may seem like your basic ''hack and slash'' type sound at first but there is a variety to the sound effects so you won't hear the same sound effects over and over again. Overall, the game features great music and sound.

The control in the game is classic Capcom all the way. The control is really simple in structure, as the control definitely is suited for the Super Nintendo controller. It is easy to pull off everything in the game including special moves, so I was pleased to see that. The control never presents a problem to the video game player so I was really impressed with the control.

Well, again, there really isn't too much innovation here. So basically most of the stuff you see here is probably featured in another game as well. Regardless of the innovation factor, King of Dragons is a fun game. Basically, you go through various stages hacking and slashing through enemies, collecting items and gold along the way. The bosses in the game are tough to beat until you learn their pattern, then the bosses are a tad bit easier, in my opinion.

The cool thing about this game, in my opinion, is the variety. While most games in the genre have you just going around mindlessly hacking opponents, this game is a little different. OK, so there is still a lot of that stuff, but this time there is a bit more involved to it. You can start off the game by choosing one of five character classes: wizard, dwarf, cleric, fighter, and elf. Each has strengths and weaknesses, and each levels up differently. Yes, you heard me right. You can level up in this game by collecting coins and treasure, and each character class levels up differently. It adds a great variety to the game, that’s for sure.

This game is fairly addicting, and you will want to play it from time to time. The reason that you would want to play it from time to time is the simple fact that the game is so much fun to play, and also adds new innovations and exciting elements to what some would call a tired genre. The role playing game elements included, like experience points and gold pieces, just adds to what is already a very fun game. You will definitely want to try the excellent two-player mode and go through the game at least a couple of times to test out each warrior, as they are really unique.

There are numerous paths along the way and the bosses are a mixed bag of tough and ridiculously easy. Some of the bosses in the game are nearly impossible to beat, but some of them are so simple. I did not understand this at all, because I would have appreciated a bit more solidarity in terms of challenge in the game. The rest of the game is kind of challenging, but acceptable. I had little problems going through about half of the game.

This is really a great game, and is really addicting. I had a lot of fun playing through this game, because it combines one of my favorite genres with elements from my favorite genre. The role playing game elements of this game really separates it from the other games in the genre, and I really enjoyed playing it. You will probably enjoy playing this game, as well, and that’s a Ladies Man guarantee!

Good Points
-The music and sound effects in the game are above average.
-The role playing game elements of the game makes the game even more fun.
-The control in the game is solid.
-I think this game is fairly addicting.

Not So Good Points
-The bosses in terms of challenge are very weird and stupid.
-The game may be a little too much like Final Fight.
-Storyline doesn’t matter, but it’s not very good here.

I Run Down the Ratings… DaLadiesMan Style!
Storyline – 3.3/10
Graphics – 8.1/10
Music – 8.3/10
Sound Effects – 8.4/10
Control – 9.1/10
Gameplay – 9.2/10
Replay Value – Above Average
Challenge – Average
Is this game worth a purchase? – Yeah, it is.
Overall – 9.2/10

The Last Line: This game does a great job of combining action and adventure with role playing game elements.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/00, Updated 07/16/01