Review by Edge578

"One of the best games on the SNES returns to the virtual console."

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was originally released in November 1991 for the Super Nintendo. It was ported onto the Gameboy Advance in 2002. Now it returns for the virtual console on the Nintendo Wii. I highly recommend this game. It is easily worth eight dollars to buy on the shop channel. Now I will tell you why.

This game is about a boy named Link ( you can name him whatever you want, though ). He lives in the enormous kingdom of Hyrule. He lives in a house with his uncle south of the Hyrule Castle. All of a sudden, young girls are being stolen by an evil wizard named Agahnim. I won't get too much into the story though, I don't want to spoil it for you. You get your sword and shield shortly after you start your quest, and you try to find the princess Zelda, who is captured and put in a cell in Hyrule Castle. Agahnim has cast a spell on the king and all the soldiers to make everyone think Link is a criminal. However, your closest friends trust you. You find an old man who tells you to find the 3 pendants scattered on the corners of the region.

The reason I gave this storyline a 7 is because it is to cliche for the Zelda series. Almost every Zelda game starts this way. A couple of them have a couple tweaks though, unlike this game. The overall story isn't bad, but if you're a veteran of the Zelda series, then you will instantly recognize this template of a storyline.

This games graphics are excellent. The character sprites are very detailed and complex. The landscapes are also very clear and precise. Most of Link's items and weapons are drawn out well. The enemies are easily recognizable, and some kind of have a 3-D allusion to it.
The graphics aren't perfect. There are some minor imperfections in them. For instance, the color of Link's hair is pink. I know what you're thinking. WTF? I am not entirely sure, but I think it would have to do with the graphical limitations of the SNES. This is back in 1992, so don't think of it as so bad.

This game's gameplay is just fantastic. The kingdom of Hyrule is vast, making you want to explore every single pixel of it. There are forests, mountains, and lakes that you must scale complete your quest. There is one main village in Hyrule, and a bunch of houses scattered about the kingdom.

There are 8 dungeons in this game. Most of which are pretty short. But you know what they say, quantity is better than quality. For most dungeons, you must find the treasure (which is usually a weapon) and use that treasure to complete a previously unpassable part of the dungeon. At the end, you face a boss, which is usually defeated with the item you acquired.

Sound/ Music : 10/10

I absolutely love the music in this game. It is very catchy, memorable, and epic. The music is also complex, usually composing of one main chord and another one following it. The sounds are also very good to. You can hear everything from the swipe of your sword to the sound of you dying.

Replay Value: 8/10

This is a great game to play on a road trip. After you beat the game, there is many other things you can do such as collect all the magical spells or get all the heart pieces. After you complete those, you can do fan-made challenges, such as the 3 heart challenge, where a play has to use the minimum amount of health the whole game.

This game is definitely worth buying. For a mere 8 dollars, you can play one of the best games created in the early ‘90s. This game is incredibly epic, and worthy of the name Zelda.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/07

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (US, 01/22/07)