Review by Smash_Adept

"You Don't Know Zelda Until You've Played This"

The Legend of Zelda is one of the greatest franchises in history. It portrays Link in a magical, mystical land trying to save either the world or his beloved Princess Zelda. This was the first and only Zelda game to be on the SNES. Today, I would like to review the sequel to Ocarina of Time, yes SEQUEL, A Link to the Past.

Initial Reaction:

I had rented this game from Marsh long, long ago. I thought it would be alright. I mean it had a great looking box, and back in the 90's the kids didn't have the internet like we do now so most of the games we rented were hit or miss. This in my book was a hit. I played it for the whole 7 days (Although I played other peoples files, sue me).

Graphics:

This game looks great for being in 16 bit format. The use of color for both the dark and light worlds was great. Interesting fact; The game simply used the same map for both worlds, but used different colors to differentiate between the two. Now this wasn't because they were lazy, it was because they wanted to fit as much as they could into the game.

Sound:

Music is a big part of the game. It uses all of the classic music you know from the Zelda world. You get soothing music when you are in a village, fun music in a game shop, and intense fighting music when fighting of the dungeon's boss. Also, this is the the first appearance of the legendary ocarina (although it's called a flute in the game, it's clearly a blue ocarina). The classic beep alert is in here. When you get to a low heart count this beep drives you insane due to the games infatuation to give you money rather than life. The sounds of combat are great though, the comedic falling noise when you fall in a pit is one of the best in the game.

Game Play:

The experience of playing this is new. The minor enemies do two hearts of damage if you run into them. It doesn't sound like a ton, but when you realize you only get three to begin with it matters. Later in the game you can upgrade your tunic from green to blue to red. This wouldn't bother me, but when the minor enemies hit as hard as some of the bosses it's odd. In addition, you can play through the game for 20 minutes and have 999 rupees. It's annoying when the game gives you coins when you need to get hearts. However, the game is fun, nothing get the blood pumping quite like running on one heart against a dungeon boss. Quick fact, this was the first Zelda game to allow you to store faeries in bottles so when you die it would replace seven hearts.

Control:

This game runs on the classic D-pad, so running diagonal means up+left or some combination like that. Analog is often overlooked as a luxury by most gamers today. Anyway, you can assign one weapon to the Y button and you have the sword and shield on auto-equip. The game is very responsive(ex. When you press B it swings the sword instantaneously). Sometimes due to the D-pad you run the wrong way for maybe a whole second but it's easily corrected.

Replay Value:

This game came out in 4/13/92. Let's count that, it's almost 2008 so that would make this game almost 16 years old! I am still playing still, this time all the way though, and I really like it. LttP is one of those games where you get done the first time and there is still things you missed. It's amazing.

Final word:

Graphics 9/10
Sound 10/10
Game Play 8/10
Control 10/10
Replay value 10/10

47/50 = 94%

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/26/07

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (US, 04/13/92)