Review by DarkMark42

"Easily the best 2-D Zelda and Super Nintendo game."

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, was released in 1992, on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It is without a doubt the best 2-D Zelda, and my favorite Super Nintendo Entertainment System game. It of course stars Link, and is a big improvement over the rather disappointing Zelda II, which was a side-scroller.

The first Zelda was a classic that had a birds-eye view and had you feel like you were on the adventure yourself. Well, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past returns to the originals roots. This game is a classic, and definitely in my top 5 favorite games of all time. The only Zelda game better than this is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Graphics

Ah, the graphics. They are some of the best-looking 16-Bit graphics I've ever seen. Not many Super Nintendo Entertainment System look better than these. The land of Hyrule looks absolutely beautiful, and the rain effects in the beginning of the game are awe-inspiring. Back in 1992, no graphics were better than these, and to this day are still impressive.

Story

Every Zelda game is known to have great stories, and this is no different. I won't go into detail, as I don't want to spoil anything for you. This has one of the best stories for any Zelda game, and beats the first two, easily.

Music/Sound Effects

Have you ever heard a Zelda game that didn't have spectacular music? Well, I know I haven't. Once again, only The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time beats this game in this place, but this is still one of the finest soundtracks that I've ever heard. The over world theme is the best of almost all, and improves on the originals. The Nintendo music staff did well here.

Gameplay

And now we get to the most important part of any game- the game play. Zelda games shine particularly here, and this game takes the originals game play and improves it by ten. This game is an epic blast, and from the moment I was in Link's house looking for his uncle, I was amazed. No Zelda game is complete without awesome weapons, and not only does this game have awesome weapons, but it includes a magic meter for the first time in the Zelda series. Hyrule is bigger than ever, and the Master Sword is much improved. In conclusion to the game play, this game is outstanding, and the reason why it's one of my favorite games of all-time.

Fun Factor

I had tons of fun playing this flaw-less gem, and you will too. Tons of fun factor here.

Replay Value

What is a game without replay value? Well not this one. I always find myself coming back for more. Perfect game has tons of replay value.

10/10

Overall

The Legend of Zelda is the greatest video game series of all-time, and this is one of the best out there. The best Super Nintendo Entertainment System game, the best 2-D Zelda, buy it now!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/08

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (US, 04/13/92)