Review by BrakZero

"Is this the best Zelda game? You bet it is!"

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is just simply an all-time great, at least to me. And I’m sure many other people feel the same. It’s the best Zelda game created, and I’m not forgetting about Zelda 64 or Majora’s Mask. Link to the Past was easily the best Zelda game and one of the best games on the Super Nintendo.

Graphics: 10
Wow, these graphics are awesome! The characters had a great amount of detail, the backgrounds and other surrounding were great, and everything was very colorful. And considering the time this game came out makes them even better. Graphically, this game blew all other 1991 games out of the water. They were just fantastic, especially for its time.

Audio: 9
Everyone’s always liked the music in Zelda games, right? Right. So don’t go thinking that this is any different. It holds lots of the classic music, plus they threw in some new tunes. Is this a good thing? Yes, it is. It fit in well with the dungeon you’re entering, or the situation you’re in. The sounds were also quite good. The slashing sound was nice, as were other sounds.

Gameplay: 10
Of course, this is what makes the game so great. Everything in this game was overhead like the original, and no side scrolling battles like in Zelda 2. You’ve got your hearts, which were your main source of life. You were able to raise your number of hearts by getting heart containers from bosses or getting four pieces of heart. Your source of money, as it has always been and probably always will be, is Rupees, which is used to buy potions and thing like that. Magic meter is the same as always, it’s used with the items in your inventory. You’ve got a lot of items in your inventory, ranging from lanterns to powerful medallions. And as always, dungeons have a map, compass, and boss key. If you’ve played any other games in the series, these will probably be familiar and very easy to get used to. But other things are unique to this game and this one only. For instance, there is a mirror which lets you switch between two different worlds: a light world and a dark world. Going between these two worlds is essential to finishing the game, and adds a lot of fun. So overall, this game has some fantastic gameplay.

Story: 9
Maybe I’ve been there and done that, but I’m not gonna get sick of it anytime soon. Go out and save Zelda from the evil clutches of Ganon. Like I said, it’s old, but I personally think it’s still pretty good, and it’ll take me a while to get sick of it. Plus, you get the collect the Triforce again, just like in the original! …Well, sort of. Anyway, it’s still a great story, and little things throughout the game make it develop slowly, and it gets better and better…

---

Challenge: 8
I don’t know about other people, but I thought this game was quite hard. I lost and had game over several times, but it didn’t slow me down… too much. Some dungeons were very tough and you had to really THINK to figure out what to do next. So, a pretty good challenge for this game.

Replay Value: 10
Believe me, after playing this game, you’ll want to start playing it over again. And with so many hidden items, heart pieces, and other secrets, you’ll find yourself playing this game nonstop.

Fun Factor: 10
I couldn’t put this game down from the second I started playing it. I just had this urge to keep finding secrets and beating dungeons. I wish I could really give this category more than a ten. I just don’t know what else to say. It’s just so fun. Beware that if you start playing, you’ll be hooked. And don’t say I didn’t warn you.

The Final Word
This game totally rocks. Easily one of the best gaming experiences on the SNES and easily the best Zelda game (to me), You have to play this game. Lucky for us, this game isn’t very expensive, especially when you put it to other great games like Chrono Trigger. You can probably find this game for 15 bucks, at the most, which is good considering Chrono Trigger is about 80 to 100 dollars. So if you still have your SNES, pull it out of your closet and play this game. I can promise you that you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/24/01, Updated 02/24/01