Review by striker64

"Quite possibly the greatest game ever made."

Few games in my ten year history of playing games have left me coming back to them multiple times after I have already completely beaten it. There are very few games that I can play through in one sitting, and right after I beat the game and do everything you possibly can in it, go back and play through it again... all in one sitting. Friends, this is one of those games.

Long ago, a mysterious force known as the Golden Power, or Triforce, as you may know it better, appeared in a land, which came to be known as the Golden Land. The Golden Power granted the one wish within the heart of anyone who touched it, no matter what that wish was. A thief by the name of Mandrag Ganon, which means Ganon of the Enchanted Thieves, got his hands on the Triforce, and his evil wishes were granted and his evil power spread over Hyrule. Greedy men flocked there and sought to join Ganon's army. The king ordered seven wise men to seal the gate to the Golden Land to slow Ganon's progression of domination. They did so, and they forged a sword that could fend off evil, known as the Master Sword. They searched for someone pure of heart to take up this sword. While searching, Ganon's legions attacked. The Knights of Hyrule Castle fought bravely and won, but many died. Ganon's legions retreated back to the Golden Land, and the king imprisoned them there. This land came to be known as the Dark World. Centuries later, plagues started to rip across Hyrule, and they could not be controlled. The king ordered an investigation into the Golden Land and offered rewards to anyone who could quell the destruction. A masked wizard named Agahnim came forward and used his magic to do just that. The king was so happy that he gave Agahnim a high position in the court... then the king mysteriously disappeared. After the king... maidens of the descendents of the seven wise men began to vanish. Princess Zelda has been locked away in the dungeon of Hyrule Castle.. and it is her turn next.

That's the story in a nutshell. You can get the full story from the instruction manual, and let me assure you... it's good. This game carries one of the most in-depth stories that I have ever seen, and I found myself actually wanting to play the game more for the sole reason of finding out what's gonna happen next. Now, this is a Super Nintendo game, and the stories were sometimes somewhat dry. This is not the case for this game. There is a why and a who and a how to everything that you do in this game... everything has a purpose.

As Link, you must first travel around the lands of Hyrule, proving your strength and searching for the Master Sword. After you prove that you are the pure-hearted Hero of legend and you unearth the Master Sword after collecting the three pendants, you encounter Agahnim. He draws you into the Dark World, and the real quest begins - rescue Princess Zelda and the rest of the maidens, and put a stop to Ganon's evil reign. Link has such items as bombs, arrows, boomerangs, and magic to help him on his journey. Your standard sword, shield, and mail are also there at your disposal. Travel around the Light and Dark Worlds, fighting off Ganon's legions and taking each step as one step closer to rescuing Princess Zelda.

The A button reads signs and allows Link to dash and swim when he obtains the items to do so. The B button swipes his trusty sword. The X button reveals his handy map. The Start button reveals a menu where Link can choose an item to use with the Y button. The control is very simple.

The graphics are what you would expect from a Super Nintendo game - 16-bit. They are bright and fluffy in the Light World, and dark and sketchy with a hint of fluffiness in the Dark World. Some do not like this style of art for a video game, but I personally feel that it fits in with the fairy-tale style of gameplay you would come to expect from the Legend of Zelda series. Very well done.

The sound is appropriate. Dungeon music is low, dramatic, and mysterious. The music that accompanies the satisfaction of recovering a pendant or releasing a maiden is joyous. The overworld music is pounding and adventurous, urging you to push onward on your quest. Ganon's legions die with a swipe of your sword. :D

I run across very few games that warrant a perfect score. However... this one does. If you have never played the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past before, you are either not a gamer to begin with, or you started gaming on some of the newer consoles. This is one game that warrants picking up and playing. There is so much to do and see that your experience with it will be well worth your time.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/01/02, Updated 12/01/02