Review by Baradur

"The Ultimate Game For The Ultimate System"

The third chapter in the Legend of Zelda series, and the best. This is what A Link to the Past is. Way back in '91, people were growing restless. It had been years since the last Zelda game was released on the NES, and fans were wondering when Nintendo was going to bring their successful franchise to the Super Nintendo. The time eventually came when Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, came to stores. Not long after its release, people were praising it as the greatest Zelda game of all time, and some even considered it the best overall GAME of all time. LttP made such an impact on the video game world that even over a decade later, it is still revered by many as the best Zelda game in existence. Even with the possession of The Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time, I find myself playing A Link to the Past way more than those other two Zelda classics. Why? I'll tell you why. Read on...

Gameplay 10/10: After the failure of the Mario-like side scrolling Zelda II, Nintendo, decided to use the original Zelda's gameplay for LttP. With the classic overhead camera view, like in the original Zelda, more could be shown on the screen at one time, resulting in more action. Another aspect of the game that Nintendo improved upon was the weapons inventory. Aside from 4 sword upgrades, 3 shield and tunic upgrades, and an larger assortment of other power-ups, there were also 20 items included in the game, ranging from bug catching nets and bottles, to arrows and hookshots. Another great feature of LttP that we have yet to see in any other Zelda game, is the ability to summon earthquakes. Nintendo also made good use of the SNES controller's multiple buttons in this title. On the SNES, there is a button for the sword, one for your item, one for the map, and so on. The control itself has been improved upon from the previous Zelda games. The control is very smooth, and never seems to falter that much. Like in all the other Zelda games (Except Majora's Mask), there are 3 game files for you to play. This is especially helpful if someone else wants to start a new game, since he/she can start a new file without having to delete yours. It seems the only thing missing from this title is a multiplayer feature. The gameplay is great.

Challenge 10/10: In my opinion, LttP was far easier than the two Zeldas that came before it. Zelda masters may find this game to be simple, especially when compared to Zelda II: Adventure of Link. Newcomers to the Zelda series will find this to be quite difficult though. The first bosses are quite easy, but the later bosses usually take a few tries to defeat. I guess you could say that this game isn't too hard or too easy. It's right in between.

Story 10/10: The story of A Link to the Past is one of the best I have ever seen in a Zelda game. The story will probably seem better to you if you actually play the game, but I'll do my best to tell it to you.

Centuries after the events in Ocarina of Time, Hyrule was in a time of peace. The Sacred Realm of the Triforce, where Ganon was imprisoned, was kept shut by seven seals. One day during this golden age, a wizard known as Agahnim came to Hyrule castle to speak with the king. Agahnim took control of the castle, as well as all of the king's men. After he did away with the king, Agahnim started to destroy the seals that kept the doors to the Sacred Realm shut. During all of this, the princess, Zelda, was thrown into the dungeons of the castle. One stormy night, Zelda called out for help to a young man named Link. Link was at his uncle's house at the time, trying to get to sleep, when he heard Zelda. Unfortunately, so did his uncle, who thought that the message was intended for him. Link's uncle took up his sword and shield, and left to save the princess. Link soon followed his uncle, and when he had caught up to him, he discovered that his uncle had been mortally wounded. The uncle gave him his sword and shield, telling Link to save Zelda. So, at his dying uncle's request, Link started heading toward the castle...

Well, that's as far as I'm going to go without spoiling the story. If you look close enough during the game, you might be able to find some references to Ocarina of Time.

Graphics 10/10: This game looks great, especially when compared to the original Zelda. Everything is seen in perfect detail, from the bow and arrows, to the houses. Thanks to the SNES's color processors, there are usually hundreds of colors on the screen at a time. Although the graphical capabilities of LttP are nothing compared to the N64 and GCN Zeldas, the are still better than the more recent Gameboy Color Zeldas.

Audio 10/10: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past had great audio capabilities for its time. The music was crisp and clear. There were also many different music tracks in this game to suit the environment that you were in. Never before had the main Zelda theme sounded as good as it did in LttP.

Playtime/Replayability 10/10: No matter how many times you play it, A Link to the Past never gets boring. You could play this game throughout the entire day, and not even be aware of what time it was before you stopped. After you beat the game, you'll want to play it some more. Trust me.

Rent or Buy? Even if you're not a fan of the Zelda series, you need to try this game. If you are a Zelda fan, then by all means, BUY this game. You'd miss out on the greatest game ever if you didn't buy this game!

That's all that can be said about The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, for the Super Nintendo.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/11/03, Updated 05/11/03