Review by Falsiloquos

"The Apex of the Zelda series"

The Apex of the Zelda series

I had a great deal of fun with the first Zelda, I was challenged by the second Zelda, so what would this Zelda hold for me? The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (hereafter just Zelda 3) is a game that manages the precarious balancing act between fun and challenge, to become the best Zelda game ever made.

Zelda 3 once again revolves around Link and Zelda, this time she has been kidnapped again, and Link must save her. He manages this rather quickly, and she sets him out on a quest. But when he finishes her quest, she gets recaptured, and his true quest begins. Who is this Agahnim he wonders, and what is his evil scheme? Only time will tell.

The storytelling in this game is top notch for an adventure game, and is lightyears above both the previous Zelda's. This is the first Zelda game that actually has a plot worth talking about, which is quite the accomplishment in itself. The plot twists and turns (these aren't great big exciting twists, but the fact that they exist, is somewhat fascinating!), and leads through a twisted land, to an evil that might be a little familiar.

But the best part of this game is the actual playing of it. Fighting is actually enjoyable in its simplicity. The levels are very well designed, and do take some time and effort to figure out and pass. There are a large number of secrets in the game, mostly in the form of ''Pieces of Heart'' which add up to a higher ''Heart Count'', which is Link's Lifeforce. The game is a simple one to play, but that is the appeal of it. I just had a lot of fun while playing this game, not just because the game was simple, but elegant as well.

The graphics are better versions of the original Zelda, with a more cartoonish look to them. Monsters are particularly well done, with the Boss monsters looking very creative (if not particularly menacing).

The music and sounds in Zelda 3 are top notch, grade A, pure goodness. And there's nothing better than a game with great music. Except one that's also fun to play!

This game is a rare game, one that provides a fun experience, but isn't mind blowingly difficult (or thoughtlessly easy). It manages to be just about everything to everyone, a feat that is quite incredible to behold.

I rated The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past a 9, but it is close to deserving a 10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/08/00, Updated 04/08/00