Review by Psycho Penguin

"Not as good as I expected, but solid nevertheless"

The history of the Mega Man series has been rather interesting. I have always been a big fan of the Mega Man games, although I will admit that maybe Capcom has taken the series a little bit too far. I liked the original Mega Man games in the series, for the NES, and to say I enjoyed the original Mega Man X for Super Nintendo is a bit of an understatement. I flat out loved that game, as it was simply one of the greatest video games ever made, in my opinion.

I will always enjoy the original Mega Man X, so i was hoping for a similar experience with its sequel, Mega Man X2. How could I not expect anything less? After all, the sequel was supposedly bigger and better than the original, and it seemed like a classic game on paper. On paper only, however. I did not know if I was going to like it or not, I was really hoping that it would not turn out to be a disappointing game.

So, when the time came for me to play this game for the first time, a little bit more than six months ago, I was a little apprehensive about it, but was expecting at least to enjoy it. And I did enjoy playing this game, it was pretty fun to play through and I did have an enjoyable time. However, it did not have the same feeling as the original Mega Man X. This was a fun game to play through, and I still do not dislike it, but I was a little bit disappointed in the final product.

The Mega Man series has never been known for its story lines, so I was not expecting a miracle of a story line here. As long as it had some basic substance and was pretty interesting, I was not going to worry about it too much. As a matter of fact, the main story line of the game actually turned out pretty well. Needless to say, it is not the greatest story line of all time, but it is solid enough for me to give it a good grade and move on.

The basic story line is this: Six months have passed since Sigma was destroyed by Mega Man X. The last of the Mavericks have been located at an abandoned production factory. The Maverick Hunters armada launched an assault at this factory but only Mega Man X was able to get through the enemy's defenses. Now you must destroy the Mavericks and their leader to stop this new uprising.

The graphics in the original Mega Man X were impressive, but the ones in Mega Man X2 will simply blow you away! Everything about this game looks great, from the character designs to the enemy designs to the backgrounds. Capcom really made good usage of their special chip for this game, the C4. Using the C4 ship, they were able to produce very special graphical effects, and were also able to make a fine looking game that looks simply awesome.

The thing I like best about the graphics in this game is the backgrounds and stage designs in the game. Every stage of Mega Man X2 is filled with great color and details, and each stage also has a theme. For example, on the Desert Base stage you can view a desert, and on the Central Computer stage you can check out the various machines. It is this attention to detail that really makes the graphics in this game so special. I really do appreciate the job that Capcom did with the backgrounds and stage designs in the game, because the game really does look awesome.

The enemy and character designs in the game are top notch, as well. I really liked the variety of enemy designs in the game, as they all looked great. The thing I liked most about them is the fact that Capcom decided to bring back some of the older enemy designs from the previous games in the series and give them all new looks for this game. The result is some of the best enemy designs I have ever seen in a video game. The character designs are top notch as well, X sports a whole new look which looks simply fantastic. And I really liked the boss designs in the game, they were well designed, well detailed, and very colorful.

The music in the Mega Man series has always been fantastic, in my opinion, and the music in this game is certainly the rule, not the exception. The theme I liked most in the game is Zero's theme, as it suited his character and was very catchy. That is not to take away from the rest of the game's music, because I felt a majority of the music in the game was simply fabulous. The music featured in the various stages sounded incredible, and fit the feeling of the individual stages perfectly. And as some of you may know, I have always been a big fan of games with music that features that. So I was overall really impressed with the music in the game.

The sound effects in the game are pretty good, and there is one thing I like most about the sound effects in the game. The thing I like most about the sound effects does not involve what is featured, rather it involves what is not featured. And what is not featured that makes me happy? Two words: voice acting. The voice acting in every Mega Man game featuring it has sucked royally, so I am glad that there is no voice acting in the game, because otherwise I would have been a very unhappy master reviewer. The other sound effects are pretty good, I really liked the sound of the various weapons firing, although X's weapon charge buster thingie got annoying to listen to after a while.

The controls are pretty good overall. Use the Control Pad to move, Y to fire, B to jump, and A to dash. You can also use the B button to help you climb up a wall. While the controls are not difficult to use, it's easy to make a mistake while using the air dash enhancement. Mistakes like that can be costly. Other than the problem with figuring out how to propely control the air dash enhancement, I really had no problems with the control in this game. Everything was easy enough to do, and I was impressed with the control.

The game play itself is a lot like Mega Man X. You start off the game by going through the opening stage, which this time is an abandoned factory. However, as opposed to the first Mega Man X, you actually have to fight a boss at the end of this stage. And the end boss of the first stage is the stuff of nightmares, as he is simply huge. After beating him, you can then choose between the eight stages of the Maverick Hunters. Then you can go through the stages, collecting weapons in use of a pattern, just like any other Mega Man game.

Mega Man X2 also features new upgrades for X like those found in Mega Man X. Each upgrade can be obtained in Dr. Light's capsules found in different stages. These upgrades will improve X's systems to help make the game easier. There is one hidden capsule in the game that will allow you to execute a special move. It is a lot like Mega Man X, but this time you get different special moves and different special capsules. However, there is still a lot of the same stuff from the original Mega Man X, like sub tanks and other stuff.

The main addition to this game is the vehicles. I really liked the variety of vehicles in the game. There are also two special vehicles to help you out in certain stages. The Mobile Attack Cycle is fast but has very light armor. The cycle can fire plasma shots, and it can also use turbo boosts to gain extra speed. The other vehicle is the Mobile Attack Armor. This mech uses spin blades to damage the enemy. Like I said, the variety was definitely there, and it is always cool to see new innovations added to a series such as this one.

However, despite all these new innovations and additions, I just did not enjoy playing this game as much as I expected. I do not know why this is, after all the original Mega Man X was one of my favorites, and with all of the innovations from the original that the sequel provided, it should have been more fun to play. However, that is simply not the case. This is still an awesome game, however, and I really enjoyed playing it. It just is not as awesome or as fun to play as I expected, that's all.

The biggest problem with this game when it comes to replay value is the fact that there are not as much secrets in the game as I expected. After all, the original Mega Man X had awesome replay value because of the numerous secrets, but there are not as many secrets in this game as the original. That is not to say that there are no secrets, or that you will never play this game after playing it for the first time. That is simply not the case. The game is very addictive and very, very fun to play through. And that is simply the bottom line.

This is a pretty challenging game, although if you read the first line from the challenge section of the Mega Man X review, I will basically say the same thing here. Hell, I should just repaste what I said from that review here. The biggest disappointment I found with this game is the fact that it is pretty short and not very challenging. I have always felt that the challenge level of the Mega Man series has deteriorated with each new game, and this game is certainly an example of that.I had little trouble completing all of the stages, and the bosses were pretty easy, even if you do not know the special weapon pattern (I did not know it at first and still strolled through the game by beating all of the bosses quite easily). I expected the game to be a little challenging, and it disappointed me.

Overall, I had mixed feelings about this game. It is certainly a fun game to play through, and I enjoyed playing it a lot. However, I just did not enjoy playing it as much as I expected. It is a fun game, it is a good game, it is just neither as fun or as good as I expected (see: Mega Man X). It is the worst of the X series, in my opinion, but yet it still gets an eight from me. That tells you two things, at least it should tell you two things. One, I enjoyed playing this game, and two, the Mega Man X series kicks ass. I really liked this game, and you should get it if you like the Mega Man series.

Good Points
-The graphics in the game are simply awesome.
-I really liked the music and sound effects.
-The control and overall game play is solid.
-The story line is not revolutionary, but who cares?

Not So Good Points
-The replay value is a little disappointing.
-The game could have been more challenging.
-Some of the music could have been improved.
-It just doesn't have the feeling the original did.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan Style!
Story Line - 9.3/10
Graphics - 9.8/10
Music - 9.3/10
Sound Effects - 9.4/10
Control - 9.6/10
Game Play - 8.4/10
Replay Value - Average
Challenge - Average
Is this game worth a purchase? - If you can find it cheap enough.
Overall - 8.1/10

The Last Line
It is not the best of the series.. actually it is the worst. But I have loved all of the games in the series, and I highly liked this one. It is a great game that is well worth your gaming time.

And that's a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/18/00, Updated 07/16/01