Review by VideoMaster

"It's Morphin' TIme"

----------
Introduction
----------

Ah, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. What can be said? I, for one, am old enough to remember when the franchise first came along in the United States. I was seven years old at the time and it was my generation's Pokemon in terms of its popularity and the mania that came along with it. Even I, and a friend I had at the time, were obsessed with the show. We had a lot of the toys and we never missed an episode if we could help it.

As for the game, it was released way back when in 1995 which in turn was two years after the show came to America. These days, I've long since stopped watching Power Rangers. Nonetheless, one of my guilty pleasures is still watching the older episodes. Even though I have, even this game I still enjoy a lot.

Anyway, enough of where I'm coming from.

Story
---------

There's no story given in the game. Possibly it's in the instruction manual but since I don't have that, I don't know. I suppose it's not much different from the series. Rita Repulsa wants to take over Earth and the only people standing in her way are the Power Rangers. So Putty after Putty and monster after monster are sent to fight our heroes.

If you've seen the series, you're pretty much very familiar with the story setup of the game, though none is given in the actual game. Basically Rita just appears in the intro and off you go fighting Putties and monsters. That's about it.

Graphics
-------

I've got to admit, I've seen a lot worse graphics. The game's graphics are quite easy on the eyes and definitely don't hurt. Everything flows smoothly. Although I do wish the character models would have been done a tad bit better. Billy looks more like an older Harry Potter than the TV series Billy.

But Billy is passable as are most of the other Rangers. Zack definitely is not. What happened here? The character design for Zack is almost insulting. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has noticed this. This is one area they definitely could have done a better job with.

One other thing I had a small problem with is the Pink Ranger, and no, that's not the fact I knew that she would never date me or that she's now almost forty and that makes me feel old. It's that while morphed, the Pink Ranger looks rather….manly. And she doesn't even wear the skirt from the series.

Sound
---------

The sound and music of the game are okay. Even the theme song from the series appears in the game. Most noticeably is the scene when you first encounter each stage's boss. As you morph, the “Go Go Power Rangers” music starts playing. But the only actual instance of singing is in the ‘options' screen. Other than that, everything is just instrumental. Fortunately they did get the sound and music right. It's fortunately not just a series of two or three repetitive noises.

------
Gameplay
------

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is your basic beat'em up game. You go through each level fighting common MMPR enemies. Your given moves are punches, kicks, and jump kicks. When your character is morphed, there is also a special move available known as a bomb. This special move is specific to each character however the ability to use the special move is very limited and is best saved for the bosses.

The game also uses passwords to continue playing at later times. Fortunately, all the passwords are very simple to remember as they are only four numbers. This is definitely a good thing compared to some games where passwords are so long and/or hard to read that it takes forever to input them.

--------
Characters
--------

If you were a fan of the original season, then you know the playable characters. They are Jason, Billy, Zack, Kimberly, and Trini. The Red, Blue, Black, Pink, and Yellow Rangers respectively. Unfortunately, if you want to play as Tommy, you're out of luck as he is not included in the game. I'm actually not sure why the reason that happened is. The only possible thing I can think of is maybe the game was released before the ‘Green With Evil' five part episode aired. But I'm not sure if the game was released before or after.

As for the available characters, each has their own fighting styles. Fortunately they're not the same exact character with different looks. When they are morphed, each character uses his or her weapon they had that season, I.e. Jason uses his sword, Zack uses his axe, etc.

You choose which Ranger you want at the beginning of each level. So the good news is that, if you wish, you can play a different Ranger for each mission.

Enemies
-------

Unlike the follow-up game MMPR The Movie Feat. Ivan Ooze, the enemies in this game actually make perfect sense. The most common enemies you'll run into will naturally be the Putties. The Putties will run from the basic grey color to brown, green, and purple. Each have their own skills and difficulty in killing, with the grey versions being the easiest to kill with one hit.

Ultimately, at the end of each level, you will square off against monsters from the TV series. Fortunately, each monster is actually very different just like in the show. It's not a case of each enemy is simply just a different character model with the same exact attacks. Fortunately, none of the bosses are really that difficult to the point where the fun is sucked right out of it.

--------------
Conclusion
---------------

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is a very good beat'em up title. If you were a fan of the genre and especially of the original season, then I will suggest you give this game a shot. Unfortunately, being such an old title, chances are you will only be able to find the game on sites like eBay or Amazon. But wherever, if you get a chance, then I would definitely give it a try if you are looking for a fun game to waste some time with.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/24/09

Game Release: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (US, 09/30/94)