Review by Braben

"Worth checking out if no one is watching."

There are a lot of games based on this crappy show (it may be crappy but can you say you didn’t liked it when you were younger?), and this is by far the best one, and while that is not saying much considering how bad the rest of games are, you will be surprised with this one for sure.

Power Ranger The Movie is a typical beat em up-ish (but it is not a beat em up) action game, pick a character and then you will be sent to kick enemy butts until the end of the stage where a big boss awaits you, and then to another stage to do the same thing again until the final big boss is defeated. Fortunately in some stages we will have to surf and kick ass at the same time, or jump over some platforms, fight with huge machines, dodge bombs, and all the usual pitfalls we find in these games.

Most scenarios have an upper and a lower section, so if you are playing with a friend the most intelligent way to proceed would be one up and the other one down. It is a pretty interesting way to play with a friend.

Each Power Ranger has its own way to attack, then each one also has an attack with a weapon and a special very powerful attack that hurts all the enemies on the screen. While some of them are a bit more powerful and attack in a more convincing way there is no real difference between them. Our characters start in their usual teenage costume, and once we fill a bar on the bottom of the screen we’ll be able to “morph” in their respective “alter ego”.

The graphics have the usual quality we always use to find in these kind of games, and the same happens with the music, they are both good without being exceptionally good. Our heroes (?) are nicely done and most enemies (specially some bosses) are perfectly identifiable if you have seen the show.

Something a bit odd is that the game has very little in common with the movie, I don’t know if this is good or bad, but they don’t even had the movie costume and the enemies are from the TV show, not from the movie. Who knows.

Leave all your prejudices aside, bring a friend, and enjoy this fun side scrolling action game because, even if it is based in one of the most shameful TV shows imaginable (yet not the most, not near), as an action game is quite good, oh! and of course is way, way, WAY better than the movie.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/16/03