Review by BimmyandJimmy

"Mortally annoying Kombat is more like it."

I'll tell you, and if it ain't too obvious already, I love video games. They just kick ass in any way imaginable, but you know what I love more? Violence in video games. I don't know why, but I'm just a sucker when it comes to blood and guts in video games, even if the game itself is a steaming pile of Pigs***. So, I guess is pretty legit when I say that I love the arcade game Mortal Kombat, and why not? Besides Street Fighter 2, is there any other better fighting game from the early 90's? I mean, what game at the time could you see someone get the flesh burnt off of him from a deformed skeleton zombie, or have the option to brutishly rip someone's spine out, and celebrated your win a puddle of their own blood? I mean, this might have been "the game" at that time, and believe me when I say that everyone, even the stiffs in Washington DC , has played this game at least once in their lives. In short, the game kicked your ass until the sun shined though.

And then, they had to port it over to the Super Nintendo, and everything fell apart.

I don't know about you, but this is not in any word Mortal Kombat in my book. Its just a pain that Nintendo, one the greatest video game company's ever created, would create such a boring, mediocre, unappealing version of such a gory, violent game, just because they wanted to keep their family friendly outlook on their product (and why they didn't license any of the Christian games is just beyond me). That's right. Instead of tearing peoples arms off or literally crushing your opponent chest cavity which a heart shattering blow, we are instead treated (and I use that term loosely) to such dull finishers that even Jack Thompson would find uninteresting. Sure, its cool that I can uppercut my opponent onto a bed of spikes, but, where's the blood? That's the question I always keep asking myself when I'm playing this game.

It also pains me to say that playing Mortal Kombat without the gore is like watching a Michael Bay film without robotic humanoids blowing stuff up; its nothing but a broken, annoying mess. I don't know if its just on my SNES controller or something, but this game just feels really, really stiff. The punching, kicks and even special moves are annoyingly scabrous to pull off, and just flat out clumsy when it comes to fighting Shang Tsung, the main boss in the game, especial if your playing on Very Hard mode. The only way to beat the game is if you turn the specials off. Why?

Quite simply, the computers in this game, or probably just across any Mortal Kombat version, will flat out kick your ass, especial if your facing against guys like Kano or Raiden who always keep hitting you with projectiles like wussy's. The only way you can ever defeat these guys is to use the Mortal Kombat master trick, and if you've played the game a lot before, you might know what I'm talking about. That's right, you leg sweep like a mother. This is notably why many people find Mortal Kombat to be a fighter based on luck and not at all complicated to master, because the player who basically gets his first leg sweep off has won the match. Sure, you might say that only cheaters use this move and in no way show what the game is made of. Well, if that's the case, then there sure are a lot of cheaters in this world.

At least this version can have its head held high when it comes to its graphics. The digitized models are really quite something, and because it's on the SNES, you do sure seem to get a lot more texture and color then the Geneses Counterpart (except red, of course). Also, the music and sound effects are quite nice, but in the end, you'll just be wishing that your playing the arcade game, or just any game in general than this one.

If you have a chance to pass up this game, do so which quick heist and just pick up a copy of Street Fighter 2. At least that game has some nice special moves, like my favorite is when…

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/10, Updated 02/03/10

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 09/13/93)