Review by DandyQuackShot

"Test Your Might"

The days of fun family-friendly entertainment at the arcades died the day Mortal Kombat made its debut. Nintendo stepped up the game by porting the first and original Mortal Kombat to the console creating a never ending gorefest lasting all the way to the present day where fans of old patiently await the release of Mortal Kombat 9. For me this series died a long time ago in a field of spikes far far below. The integration of new characters and crazy story lines just made this series more of novelty game but no one can deny that the Mortal Kombat series redefined the fighting game genre and most would say that it still reigns supreme. Mortal Kombat originally was about very real looking (one could say still look very real) characters who must survive a tournament of hand to hand combat and defeat Shang Tsung and his champion Goro to become the new Mortal Kombat Champion. For the first port to the Super Nintendo the blood and gore were removed from the original version of the game. So if you are looking for a rare treat in Mortal Kombat games then this would stand out as the developers tried to make Mortal Kombat as appealing as possible to a console not well known for brutal and violent video games.

The game play never strayed far from the original games as you compete one on one against a computer or human player in two rounds of brutal combat. Combo moves are performed by pressing a sequence of buttons with none too complicated but hidden well away enough for one to have to play around for a long time to finally figure them out. Once an opponent is defeated a small window is opened when the announcer proclaims "Finish Him!" and another sequence of button mashing will allow you to perform a showy fatal move usually by totally obliterating your opponent. The tournament is set up much differently from the later games as you take on the entire game's characters one on one as well as do a mirror match where you take on the player you are. Then you must face off in three endurance matches where you have to survive against two opponents and only then do you get to face off with Goro and ultimately Shang Tsung. This game is very tough even though the difficulty settings range from Very Easy to Very Hard. Even on the easiest setting, I had a hard time getting to the end of the game. This really does require skill and anticipation of your opponent's moves but a lot of times I noticed continuing a match and going through the process of picking another fighter seemed to make the guy I just beat a whole lot easier.

If you ever saw the movie in 1995 it actually does a better job of telling the story than the game's bios and end credits do. That and Johnny Cage's famous line when Goro destroys his shades are priceless. This game was pretty much inspired by the movie Bloodsport and if you do not believe me then check out JCVD's powerful ball breaker move in that game. The characters all have some reason to fight in the tournament and the original guys almost always made a come back in the later games...almost. Johnny Cage probably had a movie to do in Mortal Kombat 3. That or he just knew better than to be a part of that horrible game. This Mortal Kombat also featured the bonus rounds where your character could show off some skills in board breaking challenges. This would earn arcade points (as if that really mattered on SNES games) and I never really figured out how to break even one board but this is one feature of the original that never seemed to take off in any of the other later games of the series.

As for the graphics of the game I have already told you and plenty of review titles have told you that this game has no blood or gore in it. The brutality is still there along with all of the bloody(less) fatalities and I would say that all of the sound bits and music is all there from the arcade version of the game. The characters were created from live action I believe so it gave the characters a very realistic look.

Final Recommendation 6/10

Mortal Kombat was only bested by its sequel Mortal Kombat 2 when a few new characters were added and more levels and the never-ending fun with upper cut into the acidic cesspool. Mortal Kombat no doubt made quite the impact on the industry but if definitely was not the first violent game ever made or most controversial. For the Super Nintendo however, it suffers from being an arcade port and you do not get the same experience of playing the arcade version of the game than you do as a port on the console. I will admit that I never got the chance to play the arcade version of Mortal Kombat but most definitely got around to 2 and 3 by then. Still you can't go wrong picking this game up wherever you can find it especially if you are a fan of the series. How the series could possibly stay alive story-wise is a whole other issue.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/15/11

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 09/13/93)