Review by Evil Bob 756

"Bunch of pissed off superstrong losers=good game"

Introduction

Ahh...Mortal Kombat, the game that spawned countless sequels. If you're a next-gen gamer that enjoys Mortal Kombat, maybe you should play the game that started it all.

Gameplay

Difficulty

In the 1P mode of Mortal Kombat, you fight your way up the ''ladder'' The beginning of the game consists of fairly easy matches against all of the playable characters of the game. In the ''Mirror'' match you fight yourself, but as long as you can keep track of which character is you and which is your opponent, you'll be fine. The next three matches can be difficult. You fight one of the game's playable characters and then, with the amount of energy you have left, you must fight yet another character. Beat him, and you've finished an ''Endurance'' Match. Get through three of these and you'll find yourself at the game's mini boss. Now, I'm not giving any strategies or anything to you, that's what FAQs are for, but I can say that Goro isn't too difficult, and the difficulty of the game's boss is the equivalent of an Endurance Match. All in all, Mortal Kombat is a fairly easy game, though it can get frustrating at times.

Difficulty Score~4(a bit too easy)

Control

Patience (and Practice too) makes perfect. I've always thought that the Super Nintendo's controller was kind of odd. And we all know that a game's control is the most important thing in a game, especially fighting games. The control at first is awful, but if some practice it becomes worthy of a decent score.

Control Score~6

Fun Factor

There's nothing more satisfying that hitting your opponent when he's down until you get a flawless victory, but most of the game makes for a slightly above average fighting game.

Fun Factor Score~7

Graphics/Sound

Graphics

Those of you familiar with the movie will be able to recognize the game's characters. Nintendo had the blood removed from the game though, so the Graphic's score may depend on how much you enjoy seeing your character fall of a bridge onto spikes and have blood splatter all over himself. It doesn't bother me either way, so the graphics earn a good score.

Graphics Score~7

Sound

Yay...time for the sound, the least important aspect of any game. I guess it's alright. The guy's voice at the beginning of each fight that says FIGHT! is intense. The character's screams are funny sometimes, or at least I think they are.

Sound Score~5

Play Time/Replayability

Play Time

First time through...average gamer...ehhhhh, I'd say about 20 minutes a try, 3 tries. That puts the Play Time at 60 minutes, one hour, long enough to watch your favorite T.V. show, long enough to read a few chapters of your book...any way you look at it, Mortal Kombat doesn't take very long to beat.

Play Time Score~2

Replayability
The higher a fighting game's Fun Factor, the higher the Replayability score. Heh, that was easy...

Replayability Score~7

Mortal Kombat for the Super Nintendo's score~7(above average)

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/03, Updated 03/23/03