"Great start of the series, but goes downhill"

Mortal Kombat is one of the best of the series right next to Mortal Kombat II. After Mortal Kombat 3 came out, the series went way downhill. Sadly, Mortal Kombat for SNES does not have any blood......So if you have Sega Genesis, get this. You can get this for SNES, but it's not as fun as the Sega Genesis version. Now the review.

Gameplay is great when you first start this game, but after a while, it will get boring. Still, it still isn't bad. In gameplay, you pick 1 out of 7 fighters. The fighters are Johnny Cage, Kano, Rayden, Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Sonya. Personally, I think Sub-Zero is the best, tied with Scorpion. Anyway, you pick one of those characters and you fight in the tournament. If you have a friend over or a brother, make sure you have another controller and press start on player two if you want to fight eachother. In the tournament, you fight all 7 fighters including yourself. The lineup's order depends on your character. Once you defeat the fighters, you fight 2 on 1 battles. There are 3 battles for that. When your done with that, you fight Goro, the four-armed half human-half dragon. Goro is pretty tough. Once you beat him, you fight the boss of the game, Shang Tsung. He can morph into any fighter so watch out! That's it.

Story isn't bad. The story is that over a hundred martial art champions come in the tournament to fight for the earth. The tournament is held every 500 years and Shang Tsung has won them all. A lot of fighters get crushed by Shang Tsung and his minions, Goro, Sub-Zero, Kano, and Scorpion. Later, there are only 4 fighters left which are Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya, and Rayden. Goro is crushed by Cage, Kano is crushed by Sonya, Sub-Zero was crushed by Liu Kang, and Scorpion was crushed also by Cage. Liu kand then fights Shang Tsung to the death and wins. This has been accorded from the Movie. The story is a little bit different than the movie.

Sound and Music: 7/10

Just punching the foe is great sound. Sound is not a downfall here so if your looking for Sound, this is it. The music is also great, it sounds eerie in a few arenas so that gives it a thumbs-up.

Challange: 4/10

This is the downfall. The game is way too easy. I won't explain much here because sections with low scores are often short.

Rent or Buy:

I don't think they let you rent this anymore but you should buy it. You can rent it too if you don't like Fighting games that much. But I suggest you buy this.

Final Words:

Mortal Kombat is a great series and shall always be. Mortal Kombat is the 3rd best game of the series right next to Mortal Kombat 2 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy in my opinion. Want fun? Get/Rent/Play this game today! If you liked this game and you sold it, and you miss it, don't get this game because there is Mortal Kombat Trilogy! It has all the arenas and characters in MK1, MK2, and MK3! It's for PC, PSX, N64, and Saturn! But if you like classic stuff, get this game. Either way, you'll have tons of fun. Mortal Kombat 2 you should get also. It is the 2nd best and has the most blood I can ever imagine. It also, in my opinion, has great designs for the ninjas. Not only that, Reptile, that is fightable in this game and not playable, is in MK2! You also get to play as Shang Tsung! Hope this review was helpful. Thank you and goodnight!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/07/03