Review by eolsen

"Definitely worth picking up"

Mortal Kombat is the fighting game that started it all. It has one of the best controls, fun factor, and originality for any fighting game I've played. You can choose from seven characters to fight with. They are Johnny Cage, Lui Kang, Scorpion, Raydan, Sub-Zero, Sonya, and Kano. You can fight in two-player mode, or in a tournament mode.

The Shaolin Tournament for Martial Arts
For ages it was a competition of honor and glory. Noble warriors from around the globe were invited to take part, each seeking to win the title of Grand Champion. But that was a long time ago. Before the tournament was corrupted by the evil demon Shang Tsung, a warrior who took not only the lives of his opponents, but their very souls. With the aid of his pupil Goro, a hideous half human dragon, Tsung began a domination of the contest which has lasted for centuries. Today, 500 years later, the contest begins anew as warriors once again gather to partake in Mortal Kombat.

In tournament mode you fight against the computer in about twenty-five fights until you get to the main fight against Shang Tsung. They aren't all regular one-on-one fights though. The first nineteen are regular fights. Then the twentieth is a mirror match, where you fight yourself. For example if I were Kano, I would be fighting Kano. The next three after that are endurance rounds, where you would fight two opponents. Not at the same time of course. Once you defeated one another would appear. The twenty-fourth fight would be against Prince Goro, which can get very hard, and the twenty-fifth is against Shang Tsung.

Special Moves
All of the Mortal Kombat warriors possess expert fighting skills—in that respect, they are equal to thousands of other warriors around the globe. What raises them above their peers are the special moves, which they have created and perfected. In order to become a superior warrior, skilled enough to win the title of Grand Champion, you too must learn these moves, for these moves, whether special kicks or elemental bolts, make the Mortal Kombat warriors the fiercest and most ferocious combatants on Earth. Mastering their special moves will make you the same.

Like in most fighting games, a round consists of a maximum of three fights. You need to win two fights to win the round. Usually this is an easy task, but can get very aggravating when you have endurance rounds or your fights against Goro and Shang Tsung.

Pretty bad. It wasn't the simplistic 2-D graphics. Or that the levels are very small and compact. Or most of the characters look nothing of the characters in the movie (though I think the movie was based on the game). But because there was one MAJOR graphic flaw. When you hit your opponent it doesn't look like they are bleeding, but as if sand is coming out of their head. This might be to make the game more “player friendly” but it really looks kind of silly.

Music is pretty lame. There is not much of it and when there is it is not too impressive. Some of the music in different stages is pretty cool though which adds to the mood of the game. Sound effects are the same.

Control: 9/10
Mortal Kombat definitely has easy controls. It is easy to do a move or special move, and it is always easy to avoid those attacks if you know when they are coming. If you played the game as much as I did you get a good feel for the different moves and how to do them. It is not hard to get the different moves down, and to make a strategy that works to win. The characters also react quickly to your commands, unlike other fighting games I've played.

Fun Factor: 8/10
Don't get me wrong but despite the graphics and sound, this is a very fun game. It's challenging for many different gamers. The graphics might not be so hot, and likewise the sound, but this is an excellent game to play with friends or just by your lonesome.

Replayability: 9/10
I always liked playing this game as a kid. I had to beat it around ten times. So you could say it has a good replayability. Or maybe I'm just addicted to this game! This game also has its replay points in two-player mode. I still play this game with my friends on occasion, so yes it does have a good replay value

Buy? Rent?: 10/10
Definitely! Since it's a Super Nintendo game, you could buy it for pretty cheap, and it is quite common so you should have no problem finding it. It may not be the best fighting game to buy, and I'm sure there are better ones, but if you see a copy you should get it.

Final Notes: 8/10

Bad Points:
-Bad Graphics
-Bad Sound
-Very Simplistic

Mortal Kombat is a fun game for any fan of fighting games or just anyone looking for a good game and is definitely worth buying. There is lots of other fighting games that have failed to compete with the Mortal Kombat series but have failed, so watch out for them. If you are either a hardcore retro fan, or hardcore fighting fan, this game is for you.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/30/06