Review by Psycho Penguin

"This is another underappreciated video game."

I have played a lot of Super Nintendo games over the years, so it is fairly safe to say I can determine a good one from a not so good one. I have played a lot of rather disappointing Super Nintendo games over the years, from the hockey terror from Nintendo known as NHL Stanley Cup, to the total crap known as Legend. However, there have been some games out there that have actually surprised me by being fairly good attempts at video games. These are the kind of games that I had never heard of before playing the game, had not expected much of, and was surprised by the quality of it.

Ninja Warriors was one of these games. Here is a game I had not heard much about when my friend first purchased it a while back. He told me it was a pretty fun beat them up video game, but then again he had enjoyed playing Legend, and we all know what I thought of that game. So, I did not know what to expect when I first played the game. My friend offered to sell me the game for five bucks, so I took him up on the offer. I went home and played it for the first time, not knowing what to expect from a game that I had heard nothing about besides what my friend told me about the game.

It turned out that I really enjoyed playing this game. I was not completely blown away by the quality of the game, but it turned out to be a totally fun and entertaining game nevertheless. It is one of those side scrolling beat them ups in the reins of Captain Commando and Sonic Blastman 2. It was a pretty fun game, and I enjoyed playing it for the most part. It did seem like it could get tedious and boring after a while, but surprisingly I never really got bored while playing the game. Beating up enemies and running back and forth has never been so fun.

The story line to the game is fairly simple. All you really have to do is save the guy’s girlfriend from the evil kidnappers. Gee, where I have heard that story line before? Oh yeah, every other fricking side scrolling beat them up. I did not totally think that this story line sucked, for one reason. That reason is the fact that the game producers decided to make a lot of story line development throughout the game. I really liked how they included some of the bosses in the game and tied them in with the story line. The basic story line may have been a little stale, but I really liked the development of that basic story line.

The graphics in the game are pretty good, although they are certainly not perfect. The character and enemy designs in the game are pretty good, and I liked how there was a variety of enemy designs in the game. The enemy designs were basically the same for the most part, as they suffered from the ''same design, different colors'' syndrome sometimes, but I was impressed by the variety of enemy designs and the detail that was put into those enemy designs. The character designs were solid, as I liked how the main characters of the game were designed, and some of the lesser characters in the game looked pretty good, as well. I was impressed by both the character designs and enemy designs in the game.

The backgrounds in the game are designed pretty nicely, and I liked how there were a nice variety of them in the game. They were pretty well colorful, and the designs were definitely solid. There was not an amazing variety of background designs in the game, as the stages basically ranged from stuff like warehouses to parking lots, basic ninja stuff here. But the design of each of the backgrounds was pretty solid. I felt the background designs were very well detailed when it comes to minor details, as you can make out stuff like paint peeling and holes in the walls, stuff you would not expect to see from a Super Nintendo game in terms of graphics. So, as you might guess, I was really impressed by the backgrounds of the game. And I was also impressed by the overall graphics in the game, as well.

The music in the game is definitely solid, although it is not revolutionary. This game is not exactly going to win any awards for greatest video game soundtrack of all time or anything, but that is not to say that the music is bad or anything, because it was actually pretty good. I especially liked the music in the opening few stages, as it really set the tone for the rest of the game fairly well. Some of the music themes could have been improved and done better, for instance the opening theme of the game, but overall I could not help but be impressed with the quality of the music featured in this great game. The producers of the game really did a great job in this area.

The sound effects of the game are not perfect, but I did not expect them to be so it is no big deal. You had the sounds of punches and kicks, as well as things like weapons clanging against each other. Some of the enemies in the game used weapons, and you use a weapon sometimes, so it makes a really cool noise when they clang together. I felt that was a really cool sound effect, and a lot of the other sound effects were cool, too. There just wasn't as much variety as I expected. The sound effects were solid, but a better variety would have been appreciated. Regardless, I cannot complain too much about the sound effects that were included, as they were pretty well done.

The control is solid, but nothing revolutionary The game makes good use of the Super Nintendo controller, as it is easy enough to pull off a lot of the stuff you have to pull off in the game. For instance, special moves are simple, as are the basic moves like punching and kicking. The control is really simple in structure, as the control definitely is suited for the Super Nintendo controller. It is easy to pull off everything in the game including special moves, so I was pleased to see that. The control never presents a problem to the video game player so I was really impressed with the control.

The basic game play of this game is really fun. There is not too much innovation here, but there is enough basic elements of this game to make it pretty fun to play. I liked how simple and basic the game play was. You have a meter, and you go around killing enemies. Every time you got hit by an enemy, the meter decreased by a little bit. When it got down all the way to the end, you died and it was game over. You did not get extra lives because your meter was so long and the stages were relatively short. Therefore, you would not really need extra lives if you really knew how to play the game, because it is not that tough.

I really did not expect too much from this game, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this game. When my friend first told me how good this game was, I did not really believe him. But after playing this game a few times, I realized that this game was something special. There was not much here in terms of innovation, but who needs innovation when the basic game play is as fun as the basic game play featured in this game? And the fact that the control was so good just added to the quality of this game. It was definitely fun to play, and I really enjoyed playing this game, despite the fact it got kind of boring to play after a while.

Why do I say the game got kind of boring to play after a while? The answer is simple. The basic game play is basically punching and kicking enemies. If it does not sound fun, it actually is fun, but that fun comes at a cost, and that cost here is the replay value suffering. I had fun playing through this game a lot, and I completed it a fair share of times. Well, I completed it a lot more than I expected to. So I am not going to lie and say that I hated this game after a while, because I would still play this game today, just not as much as I used to.

This is not that challenging of a game, although there are some challenging aspects to it. The fact you don’t get more than one live per continue hurts, but at least the stages are fairly short. And it is not that the enemies are impossible to beat, because usually with a few hits they will go down. So, if you combine all those things you will find that the game is not as challenging as you first may think. However, I am not going to lie and say that the game was so easy and you will not have any problems going through it, because that is simply not the case. The game was pretty challenging to play through, because of the one live per continue clause. And some of the later stages of the game did get pretty tough to play through.

The basic game play of this game is enough to make this an all time classic, and if you throw in all of the other elements, you really have a fantastic game in the making. Taito really did a great job with the game, as it is fun to play, great looking, and the music and sound effects are top notch, as well. I really did not expect too much from this game, so it is one of those surprise games, in my opinion. Make sure to check this game out if you are looking for a great time filler, because it really is a fun game. Don’t make the same mistake I did and sell this game short, because it is too fun to do that.

Good Points
-The challenge level of the game is perfect.
-I enjoyed the basic game play of the game.
-The control in the game was outstanding.
-The music and sound effects were pretty good.
-I really liked the story line development included throughout the game.

Not So Good Points
-The game does get kind of boring and tedious to play after a while.
-The stage designs could have been better.
-The levels could have been longer.
-I would have included a multiple-life system.
-The game could have used more of everything, for the most part.

I Run Down the Ratings… DaLadiesMan Style!
Story Line – 7.2/10
Graphics – 9.1/10
Music – 8.8/10
Sound Effects – 8.4/10
Control – 8.3/10
Game Play – 9.1/10
Replay Value – Above Average (Mike Sanders)
Challenge – Above Average (Mike Sanders)
Is this game worth a purchase? - Definitely, without a shadow of a doubt.
Overall - 9.2/10

The Last Line
I really enjoyed playing this game, despite the fact it got kind of boring to play after a while. Make sure to check this game out if you are looking for a great time filler, because it really is a fun game. Don’t make the same mistake I did and sell this game short, because it is too fun to do that. The basic game play of this game is enough to make this an all time classic, and if you throw in all of the other elements, you really have a fantastic game in the making. I wish more games were made that were as good as this game was.

And that’s a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/13/00, Updated 07/16/01