Review by Psychopulse75

"Repetitive? Yeah, right, this is a solid brawler!"

As I click on the link for this game, I see 6 reviews, all of which give it poor scores (1, 2, 3,), and 5 of which are moronic. With the exception of Psycho Penguin's review (At least he updated it to back up his opinion better), all of these reviews are just really stupid. Reptitive? REPETITIVE? REPETITIVE?! No wonder these reviews stunk! That's the only reason they hate it! One reviewer says that one type of two enemies look slightly different from one another, yet they have the same moves. Bah. Final Fight had enemies looking slightly different from one another, but they have the same moves! If you don't like fighting colored variants of the same enemy, don't play and of the Streets of Rage series (Especially #2!). You fight so many colored variants of the same enemy it's ridiculous. And Streets of Rage 1 AND 2 had you fight mainly the small fries, as well. OF COURSE YOU'RE GOING TO FIGHT THE SAME LOUSY ENEMIES OVER AND OVER! HASN'T THIS EVEN BECAME CLEAR TO YOU BY NOW?! FOR GOD SAKES, GET A LIFE!!!!

Now that I'm done with my ranting, let's proceed.

Plot: 1?/10

That's it's down side. No 2 player mode. The manual said that Flak's girlfriend has been kidnapped by Big Al and that his hideout was somewhere in South America, but the story was totally ignored by the game itself. Because of this, you go around beating up bad guys.

Graphics: 8

The graphics in this game are pretty good. The characters and backgrounds have a fair amount of detail to them, and are quite nice. Some moves weren't animated good enough, though, so some animations may have skipped a few frames. Some slowdown comes in, but none of this affects gameplay one bit. Some nice effects are here, like the lights flickering on and off in the locker room. Many enemies come in about 3-4 different colors, but that's not much to whine over. Some objects, seem to take a while to break, though, I'm not sure why...

Sound: 7

I actually like the music to this game. It really fits the mood and makes me feel relaxed. It's not exciting, but it's not boring either. The sound effects are ok, punches and breaking things seemed passable by my standards. Voice acting come in typical battle yells, and death cries (Albeit not loud ones) from your enemies.

Gameplay: 8

Rival Turf is no Final Fight or Streets of Rage, true, but it does not stink. But in another way, it's basically just a mish-mash of concepts we've seen before. Our heroes, Jack Flak and Oozie Nelson, stereotype the ''Strong guy vs. Quick guy'' to choose from in beat 'em ups. They not surprisingly have a few amount of moves, which consist of a punch combo, a jump kick, and spinning move which takes away five of the losers you beat up instead of your health (It takes count of how many men you killed, and five kills are used up whenever you do the spinning move). The also have a small variety of grab/throw moves, like Flak doing a pile driver and Nelson picking someone up and slamming them to the ground.

The enemies? They're not smart, but they're not wimps either. Some are easy when you figure out how to get past them (Going around the skinny guys of jumping up to them and grabbing them), others will be tricky no matter what (Ninjas jump kick you a lot and it does good damage). There's a silver lining in the cloud. Enter angry mode, where after taking some damage, you'll become invincible for a short time, and you're more powerful during this time. They've provided you with wonderful effects, for example: When Flak throws someone, the body spins wildly in midair, and Nelson throws someone in the air about 50 feet and he grabs them and slams them! Cool! I wish more beat 'em ups had this feature.

There's a two player mode, and you can pick the same character if nesscessary. The first two bosses are easy, but the rest are hard from here on out. And as far as enemy variety goes, it's a fair amount of enemies, some of the more goofier enemies are the skinny guys who kick you from a distance, and ninjas and martial arts warriors with spinning drop kicks. The sad thing is, it's pretty short, but is has it's difficult moments in the second half of the game. There are only 6 stages.

Replay Value: 5

There's just not enough to do afterwards, unfortunately. There's no difficulty setting.

Buy or Leave on Shelf:

I'd pretty much buy, unless you find it ''Too repetitive'', not even realizing that just about every other beat 'em up has the same lousy trait!

Overall: 8

It's not a bad brawler, but it's a mish-mash of concepts we've seen before and works better on some other beat 'em ups. Just disregard the lousy ''repetitive'' excuse and it'll be fun. Who knows? And as of now, Psycho Penguin's review is the only ''Good'' review that's bashed this game, but that doesn't change the fact that I like it. Give it try sometime.

No ending quote this time.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/23/02, Updated 07/23/02