Review by The Lone Duck

"This game is spiffy!"

This game and the game Secret of Evermore have a lot in common. And I mean besides title names.

Graphics and Sound: The sound and graphics are a bit better in Evermore than Mana, but Evermore came out later.

Gameplay: Aha! Okay, both games are action RPGs, where the battles are realtime. They both use a ring system for equiping weapons, using items, etc. They both have multiple weapons. However, Mana has 8 different upgradeable weapons, whereas Evermore has only 4, counting the Bazooka. Also, magic is easier in Mana. You don't have to deal with the innovative, yet incredibly annoying alchemy system. You simply have Magic Points (mp). Also, there are three characters in Mana instead of 1 (the dog in Evermore doesn't count). Also up to three peoplecan play at once.

Story: I won't delve very far here, I'll only say that Evermore's story is a lot cheesier and overall stupid in comparison to Mana. Mana is comparable to Final Fantasy.

Overall: Secret of Mana is a better game, but it is also a lot more expensive. Secret of Evermore is American, crappy, and cheap.

Personal Crap That You Might Wanna Skip: I'm finding that it's fun to get SNES games, not just to play them, but to collect them. Games like ChronoTrigger and Secret of Mana are going to be very hard to find 20 years from now.I traded the N64 game Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman for Final Fantasy III and the players guide for it.My friend was pretty ummm... nice. I currently have about 27 excellent SNES games, plus the Super Gameboy accessory. Also, if you need a SNES players guide, try going to Nintendo's Online Store. I even got an Earthbound Players Guide there. The only ones they don't have are Final Fantasy 3, Super Mario AllStars, and Mario Mania. Well, enough rambling. This will probably be my last review for a while... Not that you'd miss me... I'll shut up now.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 07/16/01