Review by Retro

"One of the best multiplayer games ever!"

Super Bomberman 2 is the only game in the series that I've played for the Super Nintendo and it's without a doubt one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. But first, I'll briefly describe the one player adventure game.

Unlike most action/adventure games (I guess you can call it that), in Super Bomberman 2, you won't be doing much jumping and you won't be doing any punching at all. Instead, you get to control a weird looking creature called a bomberman that uses bombs as its main weapon. It goes like this, you have to make the bomberman lay a bomb and then get out of the way before it blows up. Each level is presented with an overhead view. There are many levels that pose different kinds of challenges. There are outer space levels with floating platforms, ones in which you'll have to find a way to make it across big lakes of water without falling in, furnaces, and many more.

To pass a level in Super Bomberman 2, you have to do certain things such as destroy all of the enemies, use a bomb to light up all the lights, and more. Most of the levels have a bunch of crates that you can blow up in order to have a chance to collect a much needed powerup. Most of the levels have helpful items to make blowing everything up easier such as a sort of dot on the ground that will make your bombs blast all over the screen in the four directions from where you plant your bomb, magnets, and more. There are also obstacles to look out for other than the regular enemies such as furnaces full of overloading fire, places on the ground that kill you the instant you step on them, and many others.

There are a few weapons or powerups you can collect and put to good use during your journey to blast through the game of Super Bomberman 2. To begin with, your bomb's fire won't spread all that far from the bomb itself when it explodes. If you collect a fire icon, your fire will be more widespread, hearts enable you to take an extra hit, remote bombs let you decide exactly when to make your bombs explode, bomb icons enable you to lay an extra bomb, and there are many others that I'll describe in just a second.

There are a few levels in each world of Super Bomberman 2. To make it through the regular levels, you just have to do what you're supposed to do and then exit through the door that leads to the next level. The last level in each world will put you up against a fierce and challenging boss that you will have to blast to bits with several bombs. Playing the one player game in Super Bomberman 2 is somewhat fun, but it's nothing compared to playing multiplayer!

The multiplayer games are where Super Bomberman 2 earns most of my rave reviews by a long shot. To start off, you can play up to four players. You can have it where it's just you against 3 computer players, you and a friend against two computer players, you against one computer player, just you and your friend against each other, you and three friends, and so on. Before you start playing, you can choose from one of ten different multiplayer battle fields, what color your bomber will be, the time limit, how many rounds you play, whether or not to have G-Bomber (Gold Bomber), and the computer's skill level.

As I said before, there are ten different battle fields to choose from. There is a basic one full of blocks that hold items, one full of mushrooms that you can jump on in order to get to the other side, an ice level with warp portals, one with a conveyor belt, and a few others. While the battle fields are different from each other, they have one thing in common: they're all a lot of fun to play! Once you decide which one to go to, it's time to battle!

No matter which battle field you're playing in, the main thing you will have to watch out for are the blasts from the bombs. While trying to avoid the bombs, you can always blow up certain items such as blocks, mushrooms, tires, etc., in order to obtain an item from them. Skates make you faster, fire makes your blasts spread out further, diseases (skeleton icon) can give you either a helpful ability such as invisibilty or a not so helpful one like making you slower than a snail, gloves enable you to pick up and throw bombs, the kick icons allow you to kick bombs across the screen, and there are a few different kinds of bombs. At the start of any of the battles, you will only be able to lay one bomb down at a time. When you collect a regular bomb, you will be able to lay one more bomb than you could before you collected it. Power bombs (bombs with a P engraved on them) make your fire blasts flame up all the way across the screen in all four directions, and there are bombs that jiggle a lot. These jiggly bombs can bounce off of walls when kicked and frantically bounce around the screen if they're thrown.

Both in the one player and the multiplayer games, when you lay a bomb, it will be about 3 seconds before it explodes. When it does explode, the fire will blast in the four main directions: up, down, left, and right. If the bomb is right beside something such as the wall, a block, or other item, the blast will stop there.

In the multiplayer games, the last player standing will win. The ways you can die are to touch a blast from a bomb, to let time out, or to get in the way of the wall that comes up when about 37 seconds are left on the clock. When the clock (if you're playing with a time limit) gets down to about 37 seconds, a wall will start at the top left of the screen and then make its way around the edges of the board. This wall will stop after it makes a few complete trips around the board. When the winner of the match has been determined, a screen will come up that shows all four of the players, and whoever won will have a gold trophy appear beside them. Whoever gets 3 (on default) trophies first, will be the supreme battler for that moment. Also, after someone wins the whole thing, they will get to try their luck by taking a spin on what looks like a wrestling belt with a few icons of familiar items on it. Among the items are kick, the glove, a heart, a bomb, a skate, and a curse. Whatever item the winner lands on after taking the spin, they will be equipped with the power of that item from start to finish of the next set of battle rounds. For example, if you land on skates, then you'll be fast no matter what for all of the upcoming battles. Finally, if you have G-Bomber switched on, the winner will be a gold color in the next round of battles.

Super Bomberman 2 is a game that any aged video game enthusiast can enjoy. As long as you like playing games against your friends, you should like Super Bomberman 2 a lot. The one player game is entertaining and challenging, but the multiplayer games are where Super Bomberman 2 blasts away most of its competition. Everybody that I know who has ever played the multiplayer games in Super Bomberman 2, likes them a lot! So if you want a fun game to play against your friends or siblings, trust me, you've got to add Super Bomberman 2 to your collection!!

GRAPHICS - Most of the graphics in Super Bomberman 2 are colorful, but they don't have anything spectacular about them. But then again, this game is so fun it doesn't need to have great graphics!

SOUND - The sound effects are just like they should be. The bombs sound like bombs when they blow up (sorta), and most of the other sound effects such as the cheering of the crowds and bombs bouncing around the board, are well done too. Most of the music is fast paced and will get you in the mood to start blasting away at everything you see.

CONTROL - For the most part, the controls aren't a problem. In the multiplayer games, you shouldn't have any problems at all, but in parts of the single player adventure such as when you have to jump across a lake, the control factor can be somewhat frustrating at first, but you'll get used to it after a few tries.

REPLAY VALUE - When it comes to the one player game, I haven't played it a whole lot, but I do like playing it sometimes when I feel up to a good challenge. On the other hand, anytime I have somebody around to play video games with, I almost always put this game in for some multiplayer fun!

OVERALL - If I gave Super Bomberman 2 a score based on just its one player game, I would give it a 6 or 7. However, I'm giving it a score based a little bit on the single player game and mostly based on playing it multiplayer, so I'll give it a 9.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/05/01, Updated 05/20/02