Review by Spektre

"The SNES sequel that is one of the most visually stunning games ever."

I haven't beat this game yet, but I can assure you, it's great. This is a review that I will not delve as much into as my Castlevania III review, as it is pretty much the same premise. The new hero is Simon Belmont again- but it is really Simon Belmont II, the original Simon's son. So how has Drac come back? Do Belmonts have any other games? Are there any games without Belmonts? Well, duh. ONTO THE REVIEW!!!

GRAPHICS: A first-generation game, but a tenth-generation set of visuals. These are some of the best graphics available on the entire system! Simon is crisp and clear and moves UNSTIFFLY (Yay!), and all enemies are animated and orignal. BTW, the enemies featured in this game are many that appear in SOTN... I can't go one review without making a reference to that game! The backgrounds are bold and colorful, detailed to the last bit. Simon's whip is very animated, as are the stages. Some rooms rotate, and it is so well done for a first-generation game you will gape at your TV screen. And there is little to no slowdown in the game either. Each stage is creative and different from the one before. (10/10)

STORY: I think this will be listed as N/A... it is basically the whole same thing. The new Belmont has found that Dracula's palace, Castlevania, has once again risen on a high cliff above the Transylvanian Valley. As he enters, he notices very little is the same as his father has described, for Dracula's castle is a manifestation of evil and evil is able to take multiple forms. Knowing the curse placed upon his family, he enters to meet his destiny with the King of Darkness. This time around, he's all alone, for Alucard has gone into deep vampire sleep for almost 200 years, and Sypha and Grant are long dead. Now he must fight for the world's future. As you can see, its like I'm screaming the word ''ditto'' while looking at Castlevania IV and III at the same time. (N/A, DUE TO LACK OF ORIGINALITY)

GAMEPLAY/CONTROL: To tell you the truth, besides this game being much longer than Castlevania III, it is quite a bit less challenging. Enemies are easily picked off, despite their fearsome appearances. Some places do have quite the challenge, like the rotating room in Stage 4 where you must grab on to a latch with your whip. Speaking of whips, your new whip is much more versitiale than in the original three. You can whip in eight directions: Up, Down, Left, Right, and in all diagonal directions. The usual power ups, like hearts, Holy Water, Cross, etc. have returned. A new move is the Whip Flank, or more commonly known as ''flicking the whip.'' You can hold the whip button, and your whip will go limp, and you press in every direction to shoot out the whip. It is a useful move when surrounded by enemies. Jumping has been improved by a ton, and I believe you can change directions in mid air now. My brain isn't working today, so... blah :P There are now hidden rooms for your pleasure, by the way. All controls are great and responsive. (9.5/10)

SOUND/MUSIC: Some of the music has been taken from the game's prequels and modified into gothic sounding music. It's thrilling and horrifying. In fact, the music in this game contests that of the Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. I swear! The sound is really nice, because everything sounds exactly as it should in real life. (10/10)

OTHER STUFF:
-Players: 1
-Fun Factor: 10. Oh geez, I liked it!
-Replay Value: 7. As fun as it is, it really doesn't have alot to offer on side quests.
-Rent or Buy: Do either. You'll play it over and over anyway.

So, now I have done my reviews for the original four Castlevanias, but I still have yet to finish all of my Mega Man reviews. All in all, this is a great addition to the series, but it deserves a 9 only because of the lack of originality and replay value. I swear, if it had a little more variety, it would have a 10! Don't yell at me! Oh, I would appreciate any comments on my reviews- I dream of being a top 20 reviewer, so please give me all you got!

OVERALL: 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/23/00, Updated 02/23/00