"Mario's first and best RPG"

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is truly a great game. It was created by Nintendo and Square, two of the greatest companies out there. Since this game was created by two great companies, you know it's great! Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is usually frowned down upon because it's a Super Nintendo RPG that isn't named Chrono Trigger of Final Fantasy III. Well, that saddens me because Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is a great game. In fact, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was my very first RPG ever. Today, I'm a huge RPG nut but I give the thanks to this game.

Story Line: Things are nice and peaceful. But what kind of game would that be? Well, Princess Toadstool (Peach) gets kidnapped! By Bowser! Again! It's up to you Mario to go stop Bowser again. So you do that and you thwart Bowser. But then the plot thickens! A giant sword splits down from the sky and lands smack dab in Bowser's Castle. Mario, Bowser and Toadstool are all thrown in different directions.

The Smithy Gang led by Smithy are the ones who came down to Earth. When they tore through the sky, they tore through Star Road and seven stars were flung across the world. Without the stars, nobodies wishes can come through. It's up to you, Mario, to travel across the world, get back the seven stars, find the princess and stop Smithy. You'll interact with new friends and foes as well as some old ones. The story is a little simple, but it's good. 9/10

Game Play: This is an RPG, when you run into an enemy, a new screen will pop up and you'll engage combat in a turn based style (Like any other RPG). When you win a battle, you'll get coins and experience. After you get a certain amount of experience, you'll grow a level where you get the option to raise some of your stats (Such as HP). Unfortunately, the levels only go up to 30...

You can also jump around like Mario in the main world and you'll have to solve some puzzles and navigate through mazes like an adventure game would. Also, you can buy accessories throughout the world using your coins to increase the stats of your characters or to give them spiffy effects. The game play is solid and it's pretty simple, your mind won't get boggled. 8/10

Sound/Music: The sound is pretty good, I have to admit some of the sound effects are pretty cheesy but for the most part the sound is realistic and flows nicely with this game. The music is really good too. It's a good thing Nintendo let Square use their famous music skills on this game because the music is great. The music can be dramatic but it can also be exciting and the music will flow very nicely with the game. 10/10

Graphics: I am surprised that the graphics aren't 2-D like Super Mario World or Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Yes, you heard it, Mario is actually 3-D in this game. Now, he isn't very big on the screen but he is 3-D! The landscape is good but there is something that bothers me. You see, when you're walking in towns or forests and what not, you'll see that there is black nothing around your area. That can get annoying but if you tune it out, you'll be fine. 8/10

Difficulty: This game is pretty easy, while I'll admit there is a few tough bosses that could potentially give you trouble but overall, I find it unlikely you'll get stuck. This is a pretty easy straightforward game. I wished that the game could have been more difficult because it's rather easy. But what can you do? This game is still good. 4/5

Replay Value: You'll find that the majority of RPGs have great replay value. Well, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is no different. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars has great replay value. I've probably played through this game 15-20 times which is a good thing. You'll play through this game more than once, that, I guarantee you! 5/5

Storyline: 9/10
Game Play: 8/10
Sound/Music: 10/10
Difficulty: 4/5
Replay Value: 5/5

Total: 44/50 = 88% = 8.8 (Rounds to 9)

I would recommend purchasing this game. I don't see why it gets frowned down upon but it is in the sam league as Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy III. This is a fun, simple addicting game that you just can't help but enjoy. It's a great buy and it seemed to slip under the radar to an extent. It's pretty well received so you don't need to worry about me being the only one who likes this game. Currently, as this review is written, there are 4 Mario RPGs and this one is the best. My hope is that Nintendo will remake this on the Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS because, frankly, it needs to be.

Reviewer's Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Originally Posted: 01/03/05

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.