Review by DarkMark42

"Considering Super Mario Bros. 2, I guess we had to expect this..."

In 1985, the Nintendo Entertainment System was realeased. Super Mario Bros. was one of the 18 launch titles. It was the most important realease in video game history. A harder version of it realeased only in Japan later came out, but Japanese people felt as if it was too hard for us. Therefore, they gave us Doki Doki Panic(a game only in Japan) with Mario characters for Super Mario Bros. 2.

Now, it was a good game, but too different than the original. When Super Mario Bros. 3 came out, it returned the series to its roots. In 1991, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System(greatest system ever) came out, and Super Mario World was one of the two launch titles(Pilot wings was the second), and it was another great game.

The sequel came out in 1995, but it was once-again different. How diiferent was it? Let's find out.

Graphics

The graphics were some of the most impressive on the SNES. They looked 24-Bit, rather than 16-Bit. Everything is so detailed and it all looks great. Good job, Nintendo. 9/10

Story

The story is not great, but it is an improvement over the other Mario storys. I won't go into detail of it, find out for yourself. I'll tell it to you though. Baby Bowser orders Kamek to capture Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, as Kamek senses trouble in the future from the brothers. He captures Baby Luigi, but missed Baby Mario, who falls on Yoshi's back. The Yoshi clan must team up to help Mario rescue Luigi. Not too bad, not too bad at all I must say. 8/10

Music/Sound Effects

The music sounds pretty good, as this is one of the better soundtracks one the SNES. 9/10

Gameplay

This is always the shining factor in great games. It's not how the usual Mario game is played, though. Matter of fact, Mario and Luigi are babys in this game. That has to do with the story. You control Yoshi with Baby Mario riding him, you attack with eggs, and there's 6 worlds with 8 levels each. The game is fun to play and it's a fairly easy game. 9/10

Replay Value

People still come back to play this great game. Not too much, though. Though enough for good replay value. 7/10

Fun Factor

This is a very fun game to play. 9/10

Overall

This is a great game, I'd say you should buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/14/08

Game Release: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (US, 10/04/95)