Review by Doctrine Dark

"This could be the best game ever made."

I'am really into the old 2D Mario games and make no mistake they were all classics. Yoshi's Island may seem a little childish compared to the other Mario games but don't let the kiddie looks fool you into not checking this out.

Gameplay
As you can tell by the title and the box art you control Yoshi this time and you have to save Baby Mario's twin brother(Gee I wonder who that could be). If Yoshi gets hit by an enemy Baby Mario falls off of Yoshi and you have to get Mario before the time runs out or you will lose a life. By the sounds of it this doesn't seem like your ordinary Mario game does it but most of the stuff you know from Mario like jumping and collecting coins are still present.

Graphics
The graphics look very good and showed what the SNES was capable of doing at the time. There are parts of the game that also have some 3D effects that may not look as good as the ones in Donkey Kong Country but are done well none the less.

Control
Nintendo added new moves for Yohsi to do including throwing eggs and the ability to stomp on the ground. You may have to get use to aiming the eggs(Note you are going to this a lot) but everything else is easy to know.All I have to say is that the control here is very good.

Sound
The music is great and is the usual coming from Mario. The one thing that really gets me is that eveytime Mario falls off of Yoshi he make this annoying cry which could drive someone crazy. Besides that all of the other sound effects are all right.

Replay
There is a lot of replay value here. One thing that I forgot to mention is that through out the levels you will collect red coins,flowers,and little stars that add to the timer. If you get all of these items in specific world you will gain access to a secret level in that area. The whole collecting and finding these items thing is going to take you a while so this adds to the replay.

Final Word
Yoshi's Island is one of the best Mario games I've ever played and is also one of the best games I've ever played. If you like Mario in any shape or form and you still have an SNES then go find this great game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/14/01, Updated 03/14/01