Review by Psycho Penguin

"God awful game right here, folks..."

Super Mario World 2. This is a rather interesting game, in my opinion. A lot of people (well, almost everyone) seemed to absolutely love this game. That is not, however, enough for me, because guess what, I did not enjoy playing this game much at all. It has to be one of my worst Super Nintendo games of all time, and I don’t really know why but I just completely hated this game and everything about it. The graphics, the game play, everything about this game I just absolutely hated.

Maybe it was the fact I had been a fan of all of the other Super Mario Brothers games, especially Super Mario World, so I expected this game to deliver just as much fun as the other games in the series. It does try some rather innovative ideas, I do admit, but this is definitely one of the worst Super Nintendo games I have ever played, in my eyes. I could not think of a single good quality of this terrible game, as it is just absolutely horrid.

Now, before you start flaming me or whatnot, hear me out. I can understand why people enjoyed this game. It is a rather fun game, on paper. It also provides some rather innovative ideas to a tired series. Unfortunately, I absolutely hated this game and all of its innovative qualities. The simple fact that this game tried some new ideas is a good quality, and if you enjoyed the innovative qualities that the game provided, then that is great, have fun playing it. I am just here to tell you that some people (not many) did not like this game.

One of the many innovations to the game is the fact that Mario is no longer the main character you control. Yes, instead of controlling Mario, you control his dinosaur pal Yoshi, and this is where one of the many innovative ideas kick in. See, Mario is a baby in this game, so he is in a little bubble. When Yoshi gets hit, Mario gets thrown off of Yoshi and starts crying inside the bubble, and a little timer starts to count down. You have to collect Mario within the 10 second time frame or you will die. Just another innovative concept and one I did not particularly like.

Another addition to the game is the fact that this is a fairly non-linear game that features lots of secrets. This is certainly a good concept, because I have always preferred non-linear games. Most of this comes from the world map itself, which is decidedly different than the world map featured in the original Super Mario World. There are also plenty of mini games, extra stages, bonus levels, etc, but I did not have fun at all while actually playing the game.

I think the biggest reason why I did not like this game is the fact that it is so decidedly different than the other games in the series, that it got rather confusing to play after a while. Sure, the innovative game play ideas are a great idea, as you may have expected. But still, the basic game play did not appeal to me at all, because it tried so much different stuff. This is like the Super Mario Brothers 2 of the Super Nintendo world, and it did not appeal to me, sort of like Super Mario Brothers 2 did not appeal to me either. I certainly did prefer the original Super Mario to this game, without a doubt.

Graphically, this is one of the best looking Super Nintendo games yet. Mode 7 effects about in this game, and the backgrounds in the game are simply amazing and very colorful. The enemy designs in the game are some of the most unique I have ever seen in a video game, and the wide variety of enemy designs in the game is definitely a welcome sign in my eyes. You will be able to notice classic enemies from the older games in this series featured in the game. This is always a good sign. This is definitely one of the best looking games on the Super Nintendo, and I wish the rest of the game was as good as the graphics, because then this would have been a classic game!

Music in the game is varied. I think the biggest problem I had with the music in this game is the fact that it sounded very kiddy for my tastes. Otherwise, the music in the game is pretty damn good, nothing special. I did enjoy some of the boss themes, however, and the world map music is rather spiffy. ^_^ Sound effects in the game are basic Mario fare all the way.

GOOD POINTS AND BAD POINTS

Good Points
-Great graphics, some of the best yet seen on the SNES

Bad Points
-Unappealing game play.
-Tedious controls
-Annoying, kiddy music

Overall, this is one of the most disappointing games I have ever played, and trust me, I have played my fair share of them. I expected this game to be somewhat decent and I turned out to hate the game. Oh well, there is always Banjo Kazooie.. oh wait, I hated that game even more. Darn.

GAME SCORES

Graphics – 9/10
Music/Sound – 3/10
Gameplay/Control – 1/10
Replay – Medium
Challenge – Medium
Overall – 1/10

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 08/12/00, Updated 07/16/01