Review by Braben

"For Elvis (The King’s) sake!!!, even better than Super Mario World!!!"

That is it, it may be hard to believe but it is true, Yoshi’s Island is even better than Super Mario World, by far the best platform game in history, so that means this sequel is the best platform game in the universe?, but of course!

Plot:
One day a stork was hurrying across the pre-dawn sky, and in his bill he had a pair of twins who happened to be Mario and Luigi. But suddenly, evil Kamek and his bunch of baddies try to kidnap those poor babies, fortunately they fail, but one baby falls undetected towards the sea...reaching nothing more and nothing less than the island where all the Yoshies live together in happy harmony. Now the Yoshies have the dangerous task to deliver the baby where he belongs.
The plot is so cute that it almost made me puke, I love it.

Graphics 10/10:
Being a game with Yoshi as the main characters you are probably expecting unbelievably cute and childish graphics, and that is exactly what you are going to get, some of the most beautiful and cute childish graphics you will ever see. Sometimes the backgrounds look like if they were coloured with crayons, then they are full of life with bright flowers, trees, birds and clouds of multiple colours everywhere, even the enemies look cute. And all of this with only 16 megabytes of memory, simply unbelievable.

Music 10/10:
C-A-T-C-H-Y AS H-E-L-L, damn the music is so nice and catchy, there few games out there with a soundtrack as happy and nice as this game, Yoshi’s Island probably has some of the nicest soundtracks ever seen in a non-rpg game.

Sound 10/10:
I have repeated one million times that the sound is something I don’t care, and it is true, but some games have such a great sound that it is impossible not to stop and talk a bit about it, Yoshi’s Island is one of those games, the sounds are so wacky and nice that deserve a big perfect ten. All the poops and bloops and as beautiful as everything is this wonderful game, even the horribly annoying way baby Mario cries is amazing.

Gameplay 10/10:
As we are talking about a Nintendo game, and what is more, a Mario game, you can bet your butt not everything consist on jumping over platforms, not near, there are so many funny situations and amusing things to see and to do that it is almost impossible to describe them all.

The game is divided six worlds, each one with eight independent stages, and in each stage we control a Yoshi with a different colour, there is no different between them aside from their colour, but well it is nice anyway. When we eat enemies we can spit them or press down and make eggs, and we can throw these eggs in any direction aiming with L or R, and we can have up to six eggs at the same time. Throwing eggs is something very easy, but sometimes we will have to make them rebound against the walls to reach secret areas or obtain secrets or coins or a lot more things, so some ability is required is you want to fully see what the gameplay has to offer.

While carrying baby Mario, if we get hurt, we will loose him, and if we don’t get hurry he’ll get caught by Kamek minions and the game will be over, but we will also loose if the fall to a pit like always.

Sometimes Yoshi will have to use special items or platforms, we’ll need some help from buddies, or morph into some vehicles to advance or to acquire some items, he can morph into five different vehicles, a helicopter, a mole tank, a car, a train, and a submarine.

These are just a few things to do in Yoshi’s Island, there are so many that I just can’t remember them all.

Replay Value 10/10:
Like is most Nintendo games, we will have to obtain a 100% after beating the game to see everything the game has to offer, and to get that percentage we will have to replay the game a million of times, and that is what I have done, I have been playing Yoshi’s Island day by day since I bought it, and that was in 1997 more or less.

There are tons of little mini games like spiting contests, exploding balloons, slot machines, cards, roulettes and many more. These are simple mini games nothing from out of this world, but as they are at the end or at the middle of some stages they are wonderful and add a lot of variety to the game.

To obtain that 100% we will have to obtain another 100% but in each single stage, and to do so we will have to collect 20 red coins, five flowers, and 30 stars, and these items are well hidden sometimes.

Yoshi’s Island is pretty easy game, but obtaining a 100% in stage while not an extremely difficult task, is quite a challenge, not to mention loads and loads of fun. An there is a couple of hidden stages where obtaining all the red coins is really difficult, I remember having a hard time trying to obtain them all in those scenarios.

To sum up:
A classic?, the word classic is not enough to describe the greatness of this game, not loving this game is hating video games, Yoshi’s Island is a game not to be missed by any means, and nowadays even more because games this good are no longer made.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/04