Review by Retro

"A great addition to the classic series"

I always liked the TMNT games for the NES, especially the second one. I didn't even know there was a TMNT game for the SNES until my brother got it for Christmas. To my surprise, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT for short) IV: Turtles in Time was even better than all the TMNT games for the NES.

Like the rest of the games in the series, you can choose from the four turtles in a half shell which comprise of: Leonardo, Raphael, Michaelangelo, and Donatello. I'm not going to describe the story of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because most people who play this game should know it already.

TMNT IV stays true to the usual storyline of the turtles being headed by Master Splinter, given advice by April, and having Shredder as their main enemy. After you finish a level of play, you will see parts of the storyline take place.

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is a lot like TMNT II: The Arcade Game for the NES. It's a side scrolling fighting game where you have to get rid of tons of the Foot Klan, and at the end of each level there is a boss such as Bebop & Rocksteady, an alligator, robotic turtles, Krang, and more. Also like TMNT II for the NES, you can either play a game by yourself or play a two player game which is the same as playing Co-op because you and your friend will be able to go through the levels and fight at the same time, just like working as a team. Instead of the levels mainly being in sewers and on the streets like they were before, you will go to dinosaur levels, a train, of course the Technodrome, and others. In other words, you will be fighting through history, hence the title, Turtles in Time.

Not only will you have to get past the massive Foot Klan and the other memorable enemies and bosses, but there are a few other obstacles and new enemies such as rock men, dinosaurs that stampede across the level, ice that rises from the ground, and much more.

What makes TMNT IV better than the previous turtle games (in my opinion) are its many new features. After you finish a certain number of levels in TMNT IV, you will be able to go through a cool bonus level such as one where you surf in a sewer with aliens jumping out of the water and slashing at you. In each of the bonus levels, there is a certain valuable item you can collect for many extra bonus points. These bonus levels aren't really full-fledged bonus levels because at the end of them, there is a furious boss waiting to have a chance to eat some turtle soup.

Without a doubt, the best thing that this game has that its predecessors in the series didn't is the variety of moves. Now, all four of the turtles can ram, do their own power move, and do other things such as slide. Of course, the usual hits, slashes, and jump kicks are still here too. My favorite move in the whole game is being able to throw the Foot Klan enemies at the screen. You can grab them and then throw them right at your television's screen and get a close up view of their defeat. Now that's what I call AWESOME!!!

Finally, there are a couple of new modes of play. One of them is Time Trial. I haven't ever played Time Trial so I can't say what it is. The other is Versus. Versus lets you fight against your friend in one-on-one battle.

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is a GREAT game, but it's not quite perfect. The biggest downfall is that even on Normal difficulty it is a little too easy. Also, it has good graphics and good sound, but some of the backgrounds and most of the sound effects, could've been a lot better.

If you like the TMNT 2 or 3 for the NES, then you should like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES. Get it today!

GRAPHICS - I liked most of the graphics in TMNT IV. The characters including the turtles, the enemies, and the bosses, all have great animation and they look like they should. It's amusing how the the turtles can be flattened if a dinosaur runs over them, how they spin across the screen after being hit by one of the rock guys, and how they can be frozen in an ice cube. Those effects are what you call some cool animation. I liked some of the backgrounds such as the forest background in the train level, but most of the backgrounds could've been a lot better. The levels themselves (not counting backgrounds) are well done.

SOUNDS - Most of the sounds such as the voices of the turtles and some of the sound effects such as the sounds of the punches and kicks, could've been a lot better. On the other hand, the music and some of the other sound effects such as when you throw an enemy at the screen, are good.

CONTROL - The control is like you would want it to be in a side scrolling fighting game. They're responsive and not at all sluggish or overly responsive.

REPLAY VALUE - To me, this game is just plain FUN!! Even though it's a little too easy to beat the whole game, it still keeps me coming back and playing it more. I especially like playing a two player game.

OVERALL - Almost everything about TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is great. In my opinion, this is the best TMNT game so far. I rank it right above TMNT II for NES. TMNT IV is one of the best 2D side scrollers I've played for the SNES.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/13/01, Updated 05/20/02