Review by Psycho Penguin

"This game is ultimate? Could of fooled me..."

The Mortal Kombast series has always been a very interesting series, in my opinion. While I have never been a huge fan of the series, it has always proven to be a very popular series, both in the arcade and on the home consoles. My favorite Mortal Kombat game is, and probably always will be, Mortal Kombat 2. It provided fun and fast gameplay (as well as being very innovative). On the other hand, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was an odd little game, as well as having an odd title. Because this game really isn't ''Ultimate'' at all. It is basically a refined version of an already stale series. Sure, the game is fun to play, but there really isn't a lot of changes from Mortal Kombat 3. They can call it Ultimate all they want, but I do not see how anyone can call this game the Ultimate Mortal Kombat game, and if they can, then that shows you that the series has no more room for innovation. But, despite all the problems with innovation, the game is fun as hell to play, and I still play it every once in a while. hence the score of 7/10. Now, enough crap, on with my review to UMK3!

Graphics (9.1/10)
Well, the graphics are the same old Mortal Kombat graphics we've all come to known and somewhat love. The character models are still more realistic looking than any other game, mainly because they are not hand drawn. The backgrounds still look very good, and are some of the best backgrounds ever seen in a Super Nintendo fighting game. In fact, I think that the only area that Mortal Kombat has had an advantage versus Street Fighter is in the graphics department. Overall, ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 has good graphics.

Music/Sound (7.3/10)
I wish that this game would have featured the cool Mortal Kombat movie theme, but the music featured in the game is pretty well done. Each of the different stages have a different theme to it, that fits the feel of the stage perfectly. Sound effect wise, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 features all the cool sounds you expect, but they could have been done even better. Overall, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 has good music and decent sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (7.3/10)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. first off, this is not the ultimate Mortal Kombat game, in my opinion. I much rather would play Mortal Kombat 2. This doesn't mean that Mk2 is better than UMK3, though, it just means I prefer it. There really isn't much added from the previous games in the series. All that's really added is a few new modes, some more characters, and well thats pretty much it. You be the judge, im sticking to MK2.

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: Medium

Overall (7.2/10)
Good game, but not what'd you expect from an ''ultimate'' game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/19/00, Updated 07/16/01