Review by Vertabreaker

"What an awesome game."

The Turbografx 16 has never exactly been known as being a console filled with some exciting games, but it definitely did feature some solid games. One of the prime examples of a game released for the Turbografx 16 that never really did get the attention it deserved was Air Zonk. Simply put, Air Zonk is one of my favorite video games of all time. It takes everything that was so cool about Bonk's Adventure and multiplies it by 10. What an incredibly awesome game.

Storyline - I believe you have to save the world yet again, but whatever the storyline was, let me ensure you that it did not detract from what was an awesome game!

Graphics - The backgrounds are well designed, the main character looks cute and awesome, and the enemy designs, while a bit odd at first (smily faces?), will soon grow on you. I know they surely did grow on me. The backgrounds are awesome, as the designs are great and very descriptive. I was really impressed with the graphics in this game, as the game looked better than some Playstation games!

Music and Sound Effects - If there was one thing I could improve about this game, it would be the music. Sure, the music is solid, but it could have been so much better. Otherwise, the game was as good as it could have possibly been. The sound effects are the bomb, everything sounds so well done and for the most part, the sound effects are perfect. I just wish the music was a little bit better, but otherwise, no complaints here.

Control - I'd be lying to you if I said Air Zonk had the perfect control, because it definitely doesn't. Iwill say that it always has taken me a while to get used to playing a Turbografx 16 game, because the controller is so oddly designed, and this game is no exception. It is like playing one of those old Atari 2600 games or something. The controller definitely leaves a lot to be desired, but I was still impressed as I could have been with the control in the game.

Gameplay - Simply put, this is one of the best games i have ever played. The game is a side scrolling shooter, which has you take the form of a little Bonk like dude named Air Zonk. It is your basic airplane shooter for the most part, just remember that instead of an airplane you get a little dude named Air Zonk. It is still a lot of fun, as the power ups system is one of the coolest ever devised.

Replay Value - A truly awesome and addictive game. What more needs to be said?

Challenge - The game offers three challenge modes, so you will find the challenge level that is right for you, guaranteed.

Overall - One of the most fun games I have ever played. Well worth whatever you have to pay to get it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/28/01, Updated 03/28/01